Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-21-2019, 09:30 PM   #1
sain9510

Default Community Discussion: Promo Card List should be a google drive Excel Sheet

As the title states, I would like a discussion to see if we should change the current Promo Card list to an Excel File on a google drive. Here is my argument for why it should be changed, please feel free to add your opinions and hopefully the moderators can help us get this sorted out.

At the end of the document I have provided a link to an example of what I think it can look like.

1) Would allow for multiple active community members to be able to upgrade the document.

I believe this is the biggest reason it should be done. Now don't get me wrong, Scuba set the entire ground work for this and without those efforts I would still be wandering around blindly looking for promo cards. The problem I have is they have not been active since August of 2018. With a communal document policed by 3-5 active members the list can stay up to date better.

2) Easily downloadable for new collectors

Pretty simple really. Rather than new collectors having to rewrite all the promos down in some other document (like I did), they can simply download this one and begin checking off the cards!

3) Visually Better

Scuba did a great job breaking this document down into each section, but I personally believe having a tab for each game is easier to follow. Also, more details can be easily added to an Excel sheet, such as affiliation, out of print, URL, and differences between printings. This may be a personal preference thing but I like being able to look at a card and easily see which expansion it relates to and when/how it was printed and is it still in circulation. Such as "Catch Some Z's" being designed to go along with the Unicorns and Friends Expansion and is only available through the corresponding Kickstarter.

I may have some other additional reasons why it should be changed but #1 is really the big one. Anyway, please keep the discussion civil and hopefully this is a good idea and not something crazy. Thanks.

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

P.S. This is my first time ever sharing a google document like this to a large group of people. Therefore, if people can edit the document or have trouble viewing it please let me know. Thanks!
sain9510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:12 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Community Discussion: Promo Card List should be a google drive Excel Sheet

This looks like a worthy fan effort for the people who care a lot about these (which is not in any way a flame; we love you guys). But the mods are going to stay out of it.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:36 AM   #3
sain9510

Default Re: Community Discussion: Promo Card List should be a google drive Excel Sheet

That works! Appreciate the response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
This looks like a worthy fan effort for the people who care a lot about these (which is not in any way a flame; we love you guys). But the mods are going to stay out of it.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:22 AM   #4
Anh-Dalan

I would fancy a picture/preview of the cards such as SJG uses on their own sites. Would that go against copyright and other owner rights?
Anh-Dalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:27 AM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh-Dalan View Post
I would fancy a picture/preview of the cards such as SJG uses on their own sites. Would that go against copyright and other owner rights?
Yes, it would.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:57 AM   #6
Cloewe

Google Docs is a very good idea, i have a similar excel file somewhere around here. IŽll send you a pm via FB. Maybe we can work something out. :-)
Old 03-24-2019, 08:32 AM   #7
sain9510

Sounds good!
Old 04-10-2019, 10:29 PM   #8
sain9510

If I provide a link to the promo card section of munchkin.game in the overview page and say go here for official card pictures is that an acceptable substitute? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Yes, it would.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:05 AM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sain9510 View Post
If I provide a link to the promo card section of munchkin.game in the overview page and say go here for official card pictures is that an acceptable substitute? Thanks.
We are perfectly happy to have people link to our site. Thanks for asking!

Old 04-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #10
Anh-Dalan

Maybe, you could even insert links to the according pictures; for example
Battering Ram https://munchkin.game/site-munchkin/...3/cover_lg.jpg

or as the picture itself

If you accept my help, I could do that sometime after Easter.
Anh-Dalan is offline   Reply With Quote