Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-30-2018, 03:51 PM   #61
JLV

Default Re: IQ rise and talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Yes, also as it means if a PC starts out without taking talents to match his IQ, from a game/munchkin perspective, he's wasting a spectacular amount of value in terms of XP. (And again, an amount that dwarfs the listed XP needed to go from 32 to 35 points, even if he's just delaying learning one spell or minor talent)
I'd think this might be easily solvable too -- just give him X number of Experience Points (say, 490 per IQ "slot") that become available to him later, on the understanding that they can only be used to purchase talents/Spells. Once he earns a few more XP, he can spend them immediately to build in some new talents or spells based on what he's learned in the interim. In effect, he was "on the verge of learning" whatever it is he later spends them on. In fact, this could be a real benefit to a player who has never played TFT before, and has no idea what a "good" talent to buy is at the beginning of the game.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:08 PM   #62
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I'd think this might be easily solvable too -- just give him X number of Experience Points (say, 490 per IQ "slot") that become available to him later, on the understanding that they can only be used to purchase talents/Spells. Once he earns a few more XP, he can spend them immediately to build in some new talents or spells based on what he's learned in the interim. In effect, he was "on the verge of learning" whatever it is he later spends them on. In fact, this could be a real benefit to a player who has never played TFT before, and has no idea what a "good" talent to buy is at the beginning of the game.
That's a fantastic idea. Quite perfect actually. I'd give the full 500XP for each slot not used during character creation.

You could take this a step a further and completely do away with the use or any reference to IQ slots. Once you've assigned all your stat points, new characters get (IQx500)XP to spend on talents/spells ONLY.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:21 PM   #63
Skarg

I guess it's a matter of what people who aren't familiar with TFT find to be simple enough.

Isn't it just another way of saying you can use unspent talent points to learn new talents?
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:21 PM   #64
Wayne

I notice in the Dodge thread Steve has said there will need to be an FAQ. I think we need his input here.
I mean, we can argue until we are black and blue about what we want and what we think he meant.
A better solution is to get some clarification from Steve about what he meant.
It comes down to this basically:

After character creation does an increase in IQ also give an extra talent/spell provided learning requirements have been met?

This is actually a simple yes no answer, if this was known then we can go on our merry house rule way or learn to love the official rules.
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:44 PM   #65
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I guess it's a matter of what people who aren't familiar with TFT find to be simple enough.

Isn't it just another way of saying you can use unspent talent points to learn new talents?
Yes, but I'm afraid that would further the misconception that some have that you still get a new talent/spell "automatically" when you increase IQ after character creation.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:46 PM   #66
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I notice in the Dodge thread Steve has said there will need to be an FAQ. I think we need his input here.
I mean, we can argue until we are black and blue about what we want and what we think he meant.
A better solution is to get some clarification from Steve about what he meant.
It comes down to this basically:

After character creation does an increase in IQ also give an extra talent/spell provided learning requirements have been met?

This is actually a simple yes no answer, if this was known then we can go on our merry house rule way or learn to love the official rules.
Very true. I wish I had a 'Wish' for this! LOL
Old 10-01-2018, 01:13 AM   #67
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
That's a fantastic idea. Quite perfect actually. I'd give the full 500XP for each slot not used during character creation.

You could take this a step a further and completely do away with the use or any reference to IQ slots. Once you've assigned all your stat points, new characters get (IQx500)XP to spend on talents/spells ONLY.
Well my reason for suggesting 490 was so that he or she would have to DO something in the game in order to earn the 10 extra points for that one-point talent (or 20, or 30, or whatever it takes to buy the actual desired talent). That guarantees that the new player (i.e., one who has never played TFT before) can get a working feel for the game *before* committing himself to a talent pick -- especially since I consider the probability of "unspent" IQ points to be much more likely with such a player than with a more experienced one (who already has a feel for what the talents mean and do, and is much more likely to maximize his character at the start. (Plus, the new player gets an immediate visceral reward in the game, which is always nice for a newbie...)

But having said that, certainly, go with 500 XP if that makes more sense for you! ;-)

(And I really like the idea of simply translating the IQ points straight into XP, which can be spent only for Talents/Spells -- you're absolutely right: it basically "removes the middle man" and saves everyone some time by not having to switch mental gears between "system A" and "system B.")
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:18 AM   #68
Shadekeep

I like the approach of getting a pool of Talent XP points at creation time from IQ as well. It has a simple elegance to it.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:42 AM   #69
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
I like the approach of getting a pool of Talent XP points at creation time from IQ as well. It has a simple elegance to it.
There are some interesting ideas here, but I'm not convinced any of them are simpler than the original method of 'spending' IQ directly on talents after character creation (as long as the XP cost to raise IQ is cheaper than purchasing talents directly, of course).

I think Wayne has it right, though... we need some official clarification before we go too far coming up with fixes to address the gap.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:11 AM   #70
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
There are some interesting ideas here, but I'm not convinced any of them are simpler than the original method of 'spending' IQ directly on talents after character creation (as long as the XP cost to raise IQ is cheaper than purchasing talents directly, of course).

I think Wayne has it right, though... we need some official clarification before we go too far coming up with fixes to address the gap.
Trust me. It's official. Raising your IQ doesn't automatically give you a new spell/talent. Spells/Talents MUST be purchased with XP after character creation.

While not a direct answer to the question, see here:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=159929