Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #21
naloth

Default Re: [DF] Unicorns, Karkadann, Bulls... and charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
Dont need to assume anything, re-read Kromms post. He explicitly says they act as indestructible weapons, specifically. When you make a slam with a weapon, it is the weapon and not the user that takes damage. Strikers are indestructible, and so it doesnt matter how much damage they take when used as weapon to slam. He doesnt say they are only indestructible when used to slam.
The context is for when the striker is used as a weapon. Strikers don't take damage from normal use, parrying, or being parried. Per B421, when attacked directly strikers have a crippling threshold of HP/2 (and would have DR as per normal). They aren't "indestructible", they just get a pass for damage that might incidentally be incurred when attacking.

Quote:
With the Unicorns horn, I went with Gadget, which is nice because gadgets ALSO start with the assumption of unbreakable, and then give you a graded set of limitations for various levels of breakable. I think the solution to the Tail problem lies in there somewhere, even if its a little strange to treat a non-arm/leg striker as a gadget. If that is indeed the solution, than a Lizard Man should buy his tail thusly:
Something that's inherently part of you shouldn't be created as a gadget.

Quote:
Striker (Tail; Crushing; Gadget, DR 2 or less -20%, normal repair (it heals), SM -2 -20%, must be forcefully removed -10% = -50%; Clumsy -2 to hit -40%) [1].
So you're getting DR to for less than free (it's actually taken to reduce the cost of the striker), claiming points for it being small (normal size of a striker), and another reduction for it being an irremovable body part? Needless to say I would reject this as a GM as a normal striker has the same DR as the user (0 unless they buy an advantage), is already hit like a limb (-2 same as an arm), and already has a HP/2 crippling threshold.

Quote:
You see my conundrum. I guess I just dont like the idea of a Striker being breakable for only -20% (the Limb limitation) especially since technically you have to buy yourself a limb to apply that too, almost certainly costing you more points than that -20% saves.
Eh? Being a striker makes your existing arm/leg capable of being used to attack without risk of taking unarmed attack damage damage. The "limb" drawback is that instead of having both a limb and a striker you only have one appendage instead of two. You aren't incurring an additional vulnerability - both a striker and arm/leg can be attacked (same -2 to hit, same crippling threshold, same default DR) - you're just consolidating your abilities into fewer limbs so your opponent only needs to cripple one instead of two limbs.

Quote:
And if you really want your head to hurt, consider this: Blunt Claws are effectively a crushing striker that can be hurt, costing 3 pts.
First off, you're presuming that strikers cannot be attacked and crippled based on what was posted relating to using a striker during it's normal use for attacking and slams. Second, Claws don't function anything like strikers. A striker is an attack only limb. Claws is an advantage that boosts damage done with your existing arms/legs. When you attack using your clawed arms and legs you're still making unarmed attacks or parries.

Last edited by naloth; 08-01-2012 at 08:53 AM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bestiary, monster creation