Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-03-2010, 05:02 AM   #11
Anubis

Default Re: GURPS Bestiary - 4th ed.

well be nice if it was filled with monsters like the D&D monster manuals rather than filled with normal animals
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:56 AM   #12
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
well be nice if it was filled with monsters like the D&D monster manuals rather than filled with normal animals
Dungeon Fantasy 13: Monsters 1 is, I believe, close to being released. Rest assured that this volume will contain this sort of creatures, and the list will grow with Monsters 2, 3 . . . if we are luckly and the product is successful.

For animals and natural beasts (mostly) many of us still use the GURPS Bestiary for GURPS Third Edition. And there's the weird (IMO) GURPS Fantasy Bestiary, too. (And maybe Third Edition Space Bestary, or something like that, although I don't like to mix sci-fi elements into fantasy. And then there's GURPS Horror, Blood Types, Undead, etc, with more third edition creatures).

Speaking about DF 13: Monsters 1, I would like to see a relatively "hefty" volume (50 pages or more)

Additionally I have the concern of the art for a book like this: since a considerable amount of the art in the PDF releases by Steve Jackson Games consists on "recycled" pieces of art from third edition publications (and never before published pieces, too, years ago produced for third edition books, but then discarded -for reasons of space, or other different ones), I wonder how these new monsters are going to have their corresponding illustrations.

Sure not all of them need to be "new monsters" requiring specific brand-new illustrations, and I acknowledge not every single monster is going to deserve a particular illustration, but still . . .
...And I'm aware SJG's PDF releases are including some new, original art pieces specifically designed for the release at hand, too.

PS: I wrote this in a hurry . . . Apologies for the inaccuracies.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:09 AM   #13
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
Dungeon Fantasy 13: Monsters 1 is, I believe, close to being released.
Though that depends on your definition of "close." Peter has indicated that it certainly isn't being released in the next week or two, and Kromm hasn't said anything about a final draft being submitted, let alone reviewing a PDF or anything like that. It's been written, which is certainly closer than not being written, but there's still a way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
Speaking about DF 13: Monsters 1, I would like to see a relatively "hefty" volume (50 pages or more)
It is no accident that page counts for e23 products tend to top off in the mid-to-upper thirties. If lots of monsters are on offer, I strongly suspect that there would be multiple 32 page bestiaries rather than one big one.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #14
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
I strongly suspect that there would be multiple 32 page bestiaries rather than one big one.
I would regard that as a Good Thing*. Bring on the bestiaries!

* As opposed to the Thing in the Basement, the Thing under the Bed, and various others, all of which should be in a bestiary....
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #15
swampthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
That would be super if it were part of the Dungeon Fantasy (or maybe Banestorm) series, and completely inappropriate otherwise. The former would not be "GURPS Bestiary," as such.
swampthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #16
Lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
That would be super if it were part of the Dungeon Fantasy (or maybe Banestorm) series, and completely inappropriate otherwise. The former would not be "GURPS Bestiary," as such.
Don't be fooled by the topic title - most people actually mean "GURPS Monster Compendium" when they say GURPS Bestiary.

Personally I couldn't care less for a "proper" GURPS Bestiary, e.g., with real animals only - there are hundreds of statted animals across the Basic Set, GURPS Bestiary for 3E, kmunoz Natural Encyclopedia, and so on.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #17
Rindis

I wouldn't mind a 'proper' beastiary at all. Of course, I never did get around to getting any of the 3e ones, so I don't have that to fall back on either.

Admittedly, if one came out tomorrow, it'd be a while before I'd get it. I have a lot of other things in line before it. (Which has been the fate with previous versions.) Of course, the expanded 220-page format means the coverage could be wide enough to help push it up the list again....
Rindis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #18
swampthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupo View Post
Don't be fooled by the topic title - most people actually mean "GURPS Monster Compendium" when they say GURPS Bestiary.
Even at that, it's hard to see how any collection of monsters is going to be generic. I think what they really mean is "GURPS <my favorite genre> Monster Compendium."

Well, where "my favorite genre" is not Horror, because Creatures of the Night already exists.
swampthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #19
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Though that depends on your definition of "close." Peter has indicated that it certainly isn't being released in the next week or two (...)
Of course, that's a relative thing.

I don't disagree with your comments. Thanks for the link!

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #20
Johnny Angel

Also, don't be blind to what can be found in various books. Basic Set, Lands Out of Time, Banestorm, and Fantasy collectively have some beast and creatures you can draw from.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bestiary, monsters