Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-29-2008, 06:14 AM   #11
Collective_Restraint

Default Re: Quick & Dirty conversion of D20SRD Monsters to GURPS

If people really seem interested into that sort of work, I could definately post them all on my website. I'll add them here first so I can get comments on some fixes I could apply to them.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:17 AM   #12
chris1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective_Restraint
If people really seem interested into that sort of work, I could definately post them all on my website. I'll add them here first so I can get comments on some fixes I could apply to them.
Go for it, please :)
chris1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:21 AM   #13
Bruno

Quote:
Problem is, I am using the template from DF and there is no Outsider class whatsoever. Demon means in DF "outerplanar creatures that can be affected by Banish", which is the closest thing I could find. I do think adding an Outsider class would be a good thing for DF. Azers can be Banished back into the plane of Fire and same goes for the Arrowhawk and the plane of Air.
I don't think there's any hard and fast restrictions in DF about the number of classes of creatures, so if you want to create more groups I doubt the game will implode or anything.

I'd create a separate group for Elemental Spirits vs Demons, but I don't think I'd actually steal Outsider whole-cloth. It's too broad, in my opinion. I'd separate "Angels" (The thematic opposite of demon) from elemental creatures, for one.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:42 AM   #14
Collective_Restraint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
I don't think there's any hard and fast restrictions in DF about the number of classes of creatures, so if you want to create more groups I doubt the game will implode or anything.

I'd create a separate group for Elemental Spirits vs Demons, but I don't think I'd actually steal Outsider whole-cloth. It's too broad, in my opinion. I'd separate "Angels" (The thematic opposite of demon) from elemental creatures, for one.
How about Outerplanar ? Elemental sounds too much like a creature completely made out of a particular element. Azers and Arrowhawks are really solid creatures, they are not fully made of fire or air.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:55 PM   #15
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

Quote:
Inspired by this thread, I decided to give it a go and try to do a quick & dirty conversion of the D20SRD monsters into GURPS using the basic DF critter template. I wanted to know if any would be interested by a project like this.
Absolutely *Brilliant!* Thanks.

And me with only 4 hours to go to send various GURPS Monsters after my PC Pirates on a Jungle Island.

-P.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan
Pmandrekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:15 AM   #16
Chunk
MIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmandrekar
Absolutely *Brilliant!* Thanks.

And me with only 4 hours to go to send various GURPS Monsters after my PC Pirates on a Jungle Island.

-P.
P, have you been reading Heroes of Lesser Earth ??? The current plotline consists of assorted monsters on a Jungle Island ...
Chunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:14 AM   #17
William

Quote:
Problem is, I am using the template from DF and there is no Outsider class whatsoever. Demon means in DF "outerplanar creatures that can be affected by Banish", which is the closest thing I could find. I do think adding an Outsider class would be a good thing for DF. Azers can be Banished back into the plane of Fire and same goes for the Arrowhawk and the plane of Air.
Ah, okay. Then I guess they technically are... though really, in GURPS nobody's an "outsider" unless they're more often encountered outside their home plane than on it. I'd be an "outsider" on Olokun. ;^)
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:22 AM   #18
William

Quote:
How about Outerplanar ? Elemental sounds too much like a creature completely made out of a particular element. Azers and Arrowhawks are really solid creatures, they are not fully made of fire or air.
Right; GURPS has "Body of Air" and "Body of Fire" meta-traits, as well as various "Spirit" meta-traits, in Basic. I'd call "Demon" something that can be summoned with the Necromantic spell "Summon Demon"; which is a specialized version of "Planar Summons," which summons anything from another plane (though the fluff text strongly suggests it's designed to summon specific sorts of spirits). There's a Demon template in Magic, suitable for basic demons summonable by that spell, though I don't know how well it works as a basis for tanar'ri. There's a long jump between a quasit and a nalfeshnee...
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:48 AM   #19
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
There's a Demon template in Magic, suitable for basic demons summonable by that spell, though I don't know how well it works as a basis for tanar'ri. There's a long jump between a quasit and a nalfeshnee...
It's not a metatrait, so it's not a good basis for a generic "Tanar'ri metatrait". It's a sort of generic racial template for the kind of big warrior demon that will ruin a player characters day.

On the other hand, it's not a bad place to go to pillage for ideas for Tanar'ri.

When converting Demons and Devils from D20, don't forget that under DF, both are "Demons". They may be demons that don't like each other, and behave differently, but that just makes them different subtypes of demon.

Yay for no alignment systems!
Old 04-30-2008, 08:50 AM   #20
Bruno

Quote:
I think you'd want to distinguish between creatures from the elemental planes and creatures from the moral planes, even if they're both made from relatively fleshlike substances, rather than "pure fire" or "pure good".

Tags
bestiary, conversion, d&d, d&d to gurps