Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-17-2018, 10:20 AM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Adding sub-locations for forearms, thighs and shins

You are either bad at secrets or you are using "ulterior" in a non-standard way.

The existing rules already have results for 1-6 on 1d, and yours are missing the knee and elbow joints as well as the shoulder. Wrist and ankle are part of the extremities and shouldn't be hit on a limb hit.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:51 AM   #12
Rasna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
You are either bad at secrets or you are using "ulterior" in a non-standard way.

The existing rules already have results for 1-6 on 1d, and yours are missing the knee and elbow joints as well as the shoulder. Wrist and ankle are part of the extremities and shouldn't be hit on a limb hit.
Shoulders, upper arms, elbows and knees don't need an additional {correction: not "ulterior"} subdivision because their relatively small surface. I don't claim as mine rules that already exist, I have simply expanded them.

Wrists and ankles aren't part of extremities. Ankle boots (the Medium Leather Boots in Low-Tech: $80, 3 lbs., DR 2* [1 vs. impaling]) protect the legs on a roll of 1 on 1d and Dan Howard listed wrist guards in one of his loadouts. In fact a lot of historical gauntlets have wrist guards that may overlap with vambraces.

The complete table would be:

Arms (50% of torso area, -2 to hit).

- Shoulders (arms 6 on 1d, 10%, -4 to hit).

- Upper arms (arms 5 on 1d, 10%, -4 to hit).

- Elbows (arms 4 on 1d, 5%, -5 to hit).

- Forearms (arms 1-3 on 1d, 25%, -3 to hit):
* Upper forearms (arms 3 on 1d, 10%, -4 to hit).
* Lower forearms (arms 2 on 1d, 10%, -4 to hit).
* Wrists (arms 1 on 1d, 5%, -5 to hit).

Legs (100% of torso area, -2 to hit)

- Thighs (legs 5-6 on 1d, 45%, -3 to hit):
* Upper thighs (legs 6 on 1d, 25%, -4 to hit).
* Lower thighs (legs 5 on 1d, 20%, -4 to hit).

- Knees (legs 4 on 1d, 5%, -5 to hit).

- Shins (legs 1-3 on 1d, 50%, -3 to hit):
* Upper shins (legs 3 on 1d, 25%, -4 to hit).
* Lower shins (legs 2 on 1d, 20%, -4 to hit).
* Ankles (legs 1 on 1d, 5%, -5 to hit).

Last edited by Rasna; 01-17-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Rasna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:44 AM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasna View Post
Shoulders, upper arms, elbows and knees don't need an ulterior subdivision because their relatively small surface.
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." - Inigo Montoya.

Quote:
I don't claim as mine rules that already exist, I have simply expanded them.
Is the ulterior part your motive for doing this?

Quote:
Wrists and ankles aren't part of extremities.
See Martial Arts p. 127.

Quote:
The complete table
So instead of one sublocation roll, yours has two?
Old 01-17-2018, 12:22 PM   #14
Rasna

Quote:
So instead of one sublocation roll, yours has two?
Yep. That's all. Base, Low-Tech and Martial Arts of course give sublocations for arms and legs, but don't assign a dedicate malus to hit these sublocations (shoulders, upper arms, elbows, forearms, thighs, knees and shins). I've added sub-sublocations for forearms, thighs and knees and I've assigned a dedicated penalty for all of them. No more, no less.

Regarding "ulterior", in my mother tongue "ulteriore" can signify "additional".

Example: "Questo progetto č buono, ma ha bisogno di ulteriori modifiche" -> "This project is good, but it needs additional/ulterior modifies".
Old 01-17-2018, 12:45 PM   #15
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:

Regarding "ulterior", in my mother tongue "ulteriore" can signify "additional".
It definitely doesn't have that connotation in English, which is probably what's producing the confusion here. In English, something is "ulterior" if it's concealed or hidden (so, "ulterior motives", which describes someone having reasons to do something besides what they say or are obvious). I'd say that's its most common usage by far. It can be used for something that will take place in the future, or for things that lie outside a defined boundary, but it definitely doesn't mean just "additional".
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:20 PM   #16
Rasna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
It definitely doesn't have that connotation in English, which is probably what's producing the confusion here. In English, something is "ulterior" if it's concealed or hidden (so, "ulterior motives", which describes someone having reasons to do something besides what they say or are obvious). I'd say that's its most common usage by far. It can be used for something that will take place in the future, or for things that lie outside a defined boundary, but it definitely doesn't mean just "additional".
My fault. Unfortunately a different language means a different "way" of thinking, and this kind of misunderstanding sometimes happen even between Italians from different regions. For example, in Tuscany, but not in the rest of Italy, "dell'altro" (literally "of other", "other's") in some contexts can mean "ancora" ("more", "yet") or "pių / non pių" ("anymore"). If I say to an Italian from Milan, Rome or Naples "Non voglio ascoltarti dell'altro" ("I don't want to listen to you anymore"), he would probably answer: "Di chi?!?" ("Of who?!?").
Old 01-17-2018, 09:55 PM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Yep. That's all. Base, Low-Tech and Martial Arts of course give sublocations for arms and legs, but don't assign a dedicate malus to hit these sublocations (shoulders, upper arms, elbows, forearms, thighs, knees and shins). I've added sub-sublocations for forearms, thighs and knees and I've assigned a dedicated penalty for all of them. No more, no less.
Actually rules for this exist, buried in the pectoral rules in Instant Armor, but you can see it on table I on Bruno's sheets.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:54 AM   #18
Rasna

Quote:
Actually rules for this exist, buried in the pectoral rules in Instant Armor, but you can see it on table I on Bruno's sheets.
Not specifically for arms and legs, otherwise I wouldn't have the necessity to make my own HR. In GURPS rules, there is the subdivision in hit location for arms and legs, but not the dedicated penalty to hit every single sub-location nor the "sub-sub-locations" for forearms, thighs and shins.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #19
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Not specifically for arms and legs, otherwise I wouldn't have the necessity to make my own HR. In GURPS rules, there is the subdivision in hit location for arms and legs, but not the dedicated penalty to hit every single sub-location nor the "sub-sub-locations" for forearms, thighs and shins.
There is no game mechanical benefit for hitting those locations other than avoiding armor, so I think you would rather just target the entire unarmored location.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:35 AM   #20
Bruno

Quote:
Not specifically for arms and legs, otherwise I wouldn't have the necessity to make my own HR
You don't need one specifically for arms and legs, on account of the rule "Hitting Them Where It Hurts" from High-Tech applying to any and all hit locations.

The rule is summarized in Table I in the Grand Unified Hit Location Table linked to in my signature.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, body parts