Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #1
CeeDub

Default Partial enhancements

Hello, I'm new here. Hopefully not just passing through, though.

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find anything pertinent with the search terms I could come up with.

I was wondering if it is possible to buy certain enhancements only for some of the levels of the modified advantage, and if so, how.

Example: I'm trying to build a TK (or PK, if you prefer) with say 15 levels in TK. I want her to also have the ability to manipulate a larger number of items in an area than what would be possible with the "two invisible hands" approach. To reflect that she is spreading her TK strength thinly over an area instead of a focused application and/or to reflect that this is an application of her talent she is still developing, she only has a more limited ST with Area Effect.

Could I buy e.g. 5 levels of Telekinesis (5/level, Area Effect +50%, Selectivity +10%, Psionic -10%) [38] and +10 levels of regular Telekinesis (Psionic -10%) [45]? Do I need to buy 15 levels and 5 levels separately? Something else I should have thought of?
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:28 AM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: Partial enhancements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
I was wondering if it is possible to buy certain enhancements only for some of the levels of the modified advantage, and if so, how.
Yes, you can, and you do it by only buying the enhancement on some levels of your advantage :)

Quote:
Could I buy e.g. 5 levels of Telekinesis (5/level, Area Effect +50%, Selectivity +10%, Psionic -10%) [38] and +10 levels of regular Telekinesis (Psionic -10%) [45]?
You've got the math right there.

EDIT: I believe it's spelled out in GURPS Powers and more detail in GURPS Power Ups: Enhancements
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:42 AM   #3
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: Partial enhancements

Quote:
Could I buy e.g. 5 levels of Telekinesis (5/level, Area Effect +50%, Selectivity +10%, Psionic -10%) [38] and +10 levels of regular Telekinesis (Psionic -10%) [45]? Do I need to buy 15 levels and 5 levels separately? Something else I should have thought of?
Yes, perfectly legal, buying one, then another stack on top of the first with more Limitations and/or fewer Enhancements. If your GM says "no", feel free to report him to the incompetence police.

You can buy two stacks separately, and use the Alternate Abilities rule, but you should only do that if you actually benefit from it. It seems to me that AA, in a case like this, only makes sense of the two stacks have Enhancements or Limitations that are completely at odds with each other.

In almost all cases, the AA rule is used for two different Advantages that have a similar origin, for instance you can take Telekinesis and Innate Attack as Alternate Abilities, with the Innate Attack representing a Telekinetic Force Punch. You pay only 1/5 cost for the cheapest of the two (1/5 cost for all but the most expensive ability in any set of AA's, and yes it's perfectly legal and not the least bit abusive to build a huge stack of AA's, although at some point you might benefit from using Modular Abilities instead, which is somewhat problematic), and - this is important - that's not the same as a -80% Limitation, but if something disables one ability of an AA set (e.g. if your character is given an anti-psionic drug) then they're all disabled, and you can't use them simultaneously (which you would be able to if they were not Alternate Abilities of each other - although in some cases you might need to have a Limited form of Compartmentalized Mind for the sake of realism).

As for you, in general, you seem to have grasped some of the core ideas of GURPS very easily. You're very much thinking the right way, and seeing some of the potential that is inherent in the point buy/ability build system.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enhancements, telekinesis