Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:48 PM   #51
ColBosch

Default Re: Minis Set 3+ Wish List

Oh yeah, I've got four of those MM missile tanks to assemble, and I am not looking forward to them. Luckily, SJ Games fixed that problem way back in '83.

But you know what's funny? Ogrethulhu went right together, no problems at all. I was convinced the lobster arms or tentacles would be an issue, but the mating surfaces were nice and precise.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:16 PM   #52
sparky00

I've been impressed with the quality of the 2000's cast minis. Very little flash, excellent detail and overall good fit.

If only they weren't so scarce...

That said, I also just got a minis set 1, and i love them. They may not have quite the crisp detail of some castings, but they look great and are cost-effective.

I will finally be able to build that Ogre army I've dreamed of since the early 80's.

Congrats on Ogrethulu. Hope to find one some day...
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:22 PM   #53
ColBosch

You don't think the detail is as crisp on the plastics? I think they're among the best.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:36 PM   #54
CON_Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
You don't think the detail is as crisp on the plastics? I think they're among the best.
They are indeed. It's just that the metal surface provides more detail-depth to the eyes as opposed to the plastic surface of the new minis. All you have to do is slap some ink on them like Mack did and the detail will suddenly leap out at you. Just look at the detail at this "Too Mini" page (scroll down to near the bottom for some fantastic red units and then some arctic blue units.)
https://toomini.wordpress.com/2017/0...-way/#more-725
Old 01-12-2018, 12:43 PM   #55
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by CON_Troll View Post
They are indeed. It's just that the metal surface provides more detail-depth to the eyes as opposed to the plastic surface of the new minis. All you have to do is slap some ink on them like Mack did and the detail will suddenly leap out at you. Just look at the detail at this "Too Mini" page (scroll down to near the bottom for some fantastic red units and then some arctic blue units.)
It's the fate of plastic, especially modern plastic. The color is too uniform, the specular gradient is too narrow, and in the case of some formulations [such as Reapers "Bones" line] the material is ever so slightly translucent...all of which reduces contrast and makes it harder to see the details before they're painted [or washed, etc].
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:16 PM   #56
ColBosch

Quote:
I am absolutely going to try that wash-and-drybrush technique for red. I usually HATE painting red.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:21 PM   #57
tbeard1999

The main issue I've had so far is that the plastic is very slick and light. I drop far more little parts (the GEV engines especially) than I do with metal miniatures. On the other hand, getting 2 (!) Ogres, 28 tanks and howitzers, a command post and 42 infantry for $40 is a RIDICULOUSLY good deal. So I'll just reinstall the light under my game table and risk it.

I intend to paint the first batch this weekend. They're assembled and mounted on paint holders. Assuming that they come out OK, I'll post them on www.texaswargamer.com when done, along with a step by step tutorial.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:25 PM   #58
tbeard1999

Quote:
He really did an extraordinary job on the drybrushing. Myself, I'd use edge-highlighting. But frankly I don't know that I'd get results that good. Excellent work. I'm interested in seeing how my standard 1/285 AFV painting techniques work with these models.

Last edited by tbeard1999; 01-12-2018 at 02:43 PM.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:09 PM   #59
sparky00

I'm still furiously painting some old GHQ tanks to learn how to use the ink washes & drybrush.

When I get a few I'm happy with, I'll try some of my old Martian Metals minis (i have a couple missile tanks that are missing missiles).

If I can get good results with those, then I'll try the plastic minis.

I haven't painted minis in about 30 years, so I'm on the steep part of the learning curve. Ben has been very patient & helpful guiding me through thus far.
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:28 PM   #60
CON_Troll

You are wise to practice on some old minis. Don't worry, experience teaches VERY well where painting is concerned. When I look back at some of my old minis, I'm amazed at how much I've improved.