Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
unused_bagels

Default Map-Bashing ODE

So I now have the OGRE book, and I'm wondering, without a trip to Kinko's, anyone have any ideas on map-bashing the new huge maps?

Specifically, I want to make the Icepick map, and also I'm trying to find the Pan-Pacific Alliance amphibious maps (and then bash them). Has anyone tried actually placing rivers in the Ogre map, like described in the Scenario Book?

Pan-pac alliance, along with their amphibious Ogre stats, is here:
http://panpacalliance.tripod.com/index.htm

But the website hasn't been updated in 12 years.

So I guess I'm asking about two things here. But mostly maps. My friends and I want to make new scenarios, but also want to try out aqueous maps and use those.
unused_bagels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #2
43Supporter

Default Re: Map-Bashing ODE

Quote:
Originally Posted by unused_bagels View Post
So I now have the OGRE book, and I'm wondering, without a trip to Kinko's, anyone have any ideas on map-bashing the new huge maps?
I hate to break this to you, but: The only way you're going to get "proper" ODE maps is to go to Kinko's, unless you have a much-larger printer than most folks. Otherwise, you'll have to print out a bunch of 8.5" x 11" pieces, stick them to cardboard, and lay them out that way -- and that's going to take a while.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
unused_bagels

OK, well I have a friend at a print shop willing to help me out. Are the hexes 2" across from vertex to vertex, or from flat edge to flat edge?

Heh. Nevermind, I measured them myself. 1.5" from flat edge to flat edge.

Last edited by unused_bagels; 04-06-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:12 PM   #4
HeatDeath

I just tried laying out Icepick using ODE. There is enough water in the kickstarter edition to hide all the cities and road south of the river, there's enough swamp to line the southern stream, and there's enough clear to cover the existing swamp that isn't supposed to be there.

At that point you only have to remember to ignore all the woods (pretend its darker tundra) and that the remaining clear hexes south of the river are really water. Pretty good, I think. I'm going to have to take a shot at playing it.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:55 AM   #5
unused_bagels

I don't have the Kickstarter Edition, so I definitely don't have enough water to fool around with it. Instead, I used the OgreMap program (under Ogre tools on this site) to build out two new maps as described above.

http://imgur.com/a/hX7Bp

Here's the album, free for anyone to use. The North and South maps of each map are sized for ODE (28.5"x16.5" each) and the smaller ones are sized for the old 2000 full-color reprints (12.125"x14").

I'm too poor to print mine out in color, but a friend at a copy shop said he can print them out in B/W for free, and I'll have a blast coloring them with colored pencils or markers or something.

Once I get the maps, I'll upload pictures of them in action! If anyone else prints these off, let me know how the aqueous map plays out with the Marine AP Ogres!
Old 03-22-2015, 01:30 AM   #6
HeatDeath

Here is a picture of my work-in progress for creating a set of terrain overlays for the extra open water in Icepick. The material is dark blue posterboard. I used one of the terrain overlays to approximate the hex boundaries onto white paper, then carefully cut the white paper with scissors, making adjustments to more precisely follow the hex boundaries. Then I used the white paper templates to cut the blue posterboard, cutting carefully along the border with an exacto knife.

The next step is to carefully draw, in fine pencil, vertical centerlines for the hex columns so I can mark the center of each ocean hex with a black sharpie dot - subtle, but usable.

I'm using this image http://artofk.home.comcast.net/~arto...Icepickmap.jpg as a reference, and of course the article on the sjgames site. The ODE set comes with enough green-clear and swamp overlays to get the swamp correct. I can fairly easily ignore the woods - just assume it's a darker color of tundra. so representing the ocean is the only real hurdle here. The final result should be a very respectable and playable reusable ODE Icepick map to play on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2120.jpg (77.7 KB, 114 views)
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:15 PM   #7
Keith E Carter

I applaud HeatDeath's effort. I am glad to see the map can be created in ODE using overlays in functional, though not final, form. I had not thought to try that. Icepick holds a special place in my Ogre memories. I remember when it was still two page submission in an envelope that had been brought with us to a convention in Houston. I had to wait for a break working the SJG booth before I could read it and then wait for a few days to get back to Austin to give it a try.

I have created my own Icepick map with original artwork in both Pocket Ogre and ODE scales at 300 dpi. I would attach a scaled down image but posting rules say I am not allowed to post attachments.

I have thought many times about sharing the files but I am not sure how best to proceed. The Pocket Ogre map is 20MB and requires having an old GEV set or creating a half scale set of Classic Counters. The ODE map is 71MB and requires access to a 34" or larger plotter. The Photoshop source file is 234MB.
Keith E Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:25 PM   #8
wolf90

HeatDeath…

You are an inspiration. Well done, man!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:38 AM   #9
lokke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith E Carter View Post
I would attach a scaled down image but posting rules say I am not allowed to post attachments.

I have thought many times about sharing the files but I am not sure how best to proceed.
Would it not be possible to upload the files to one of the standard file sharing sites (eg. mega.co.nz or rapidgator.com) and post a link rather than an attachment?

I for one would love decent quality Icepick maps in both scales.
lokke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maps, ode, ogre