Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-07-2016, 05:41 PM   #1
Jinumon

Default [MA] Shove with Shoulder

Hey all,

I'm currently putting together a Martial Arts Style called "Path of the Vigil" for my Fantasy campaign, and I had a question regarding one of the style's signature moves. First, a little background on the style (I'm sorta super proud of it):

Path of the Vigil is a martial art practiced by the monastic priests of Raeno, the Errish God of War, Protection, and Fatherhood. The style employs a ceremonial sword called a Separator, which functions as a open-frame basket-hilted, single-edged bastard sword, typically wielded in two hands. Stylists frequently place one hand along the dull edge of their blade (Defensive Grip) to ward off blows and strike with greater precision against vulnerable targets, and may even strike with the blunt edge if they wish to disable opponents without killing. While unarmed, stylists favor a combination of shoves, sweeps, and strikes with unorthodox surfaces to keep opponents off-balance and at a disadvantage.

Here is Path of the Vigil in its current form:

Path of the Vigil [5 points]
Skills: Karate; Sumo Wrestling; Theology (The Eight); Two-Handed Sword.
Techniques: Back Strike (Two-Handed Sword); Counterattack (Karate, Sumo Wrestling, or Two-Handed Sword); Hammer Fist; Retain Weapon (Two-Handed Sword); Spinning Punch (Karate); Spinning Strike (Two-Handed Sword); Sweep (Sumo Wrestling).
Cinematic Skills: Body Control; Breaking Blow; Immovable Stance; Mental Strength; Power Blow; Push; Precognitive Parry; Sensitivity.
Cinematic Techniques: Hand-Clap Parry (Karate); Springing Attack (Karate, Sumo Wrestling, or Two-Handed Sword); Timed Defense (Two-Handed Sword); Whirlwind Attack (Karate or Two-Handed Sword).
Perks: Armor Familiarity (Karate); Grip Mastery (Separator); Sure-Footed (Uneven).

So for the style, something of a signature tactic is to shove opponents away using the hips or shoulder to put them in appropriate range for sword strikes. While I know you can do an "Armed Shove," that specifies that your weapon must have Reach 1+, so I assume it means you can only Shove the Reach of your weapon. I'm unsure as to whether to model this as a Perk (Unusual Training: Can Shove w/Shoulder), as a Technique (Treat as "Close Combat" but only for Shoving/Buy back the -2 to damage for using no hands to shove). I'm just curious as to how you guys would model it.

Jinumon
Jinumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:50 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: [MA] Shove with Shoulder

This just sounds like Sumo Wrestling to me. The Armed bit is either a perk or an average technique to buy off the -2 to do grappling stuff armed. Using Sumo armed is where it's at, I think.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote