Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-18-2019, 01:14 PM   #91
Plane

Default Re: Killing Slavers

I would go so far as they invented terms for it. Offensive/dated slang like "quadroon" (1/4) and "octaroon" (1/8) are evidence people cared about that amount. Since there was no special slang for being 1/16 at that point I think people might begin to overlook it.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:48 PM   #92
Flyndaran
Untagged

Once you get to that level, it's no longer "passing". It would almost never be "visible" or provable before genetic testing.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:48 PM   #93
AlexanderHowl

Occasionally, features will remain in the family. My family had a half-African man marry into it twelve generations ago and every male since then has his nose. Unfortunately, his fortune was much less resilient, as his descendants lacked his talent with intrigue.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:59 AM   #94
Flyndaran
Untagged

And on the other side, defining ethnic features can "disappear" rather rapidly.
My brother found out we're about 1/16th sub-Saharan African making our father 1/8th, and one of our ultra racist grandparents 1/4th. They and all the relatives on that side I've met are quite generic Caucasian looking.

The schadenfreude in me wishes they lived long enough to hear.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #95
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Do they ignore them and/or avoid participating in the slave trade? Or do they activate hunt them down and murder them and, in the process, liberate their slaves and/or take them to safety?
They buy the slaves as cheap labor.
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:03 AM   #96
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Occasionally, features will remain in the family. My family had a half-African man marry into it twelve generations ago and every male since then has his nose. Unfortunately, his fortune was much less resilient, as his descendants lacked his talent with intrigue.
I think you may be one of my Crusader Kings II characters... ;-)
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:16 PM   #97
LordMunchkin

Slavery is evil so I think the greater question is how your players react to operating within a ultimately evil society. Do they just go along to get along? Or do they try to tear that society down? Since roleplaying is almost universally a form of escapism, I think most players go with the latter. Unless, they're consciously playing murder hobos. BURN THE VILLAGES! SALT THE FIELDS! LEAVE NONE ALIVE! Ah, good times...
LordMunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:56 PM   #98
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMunchkin View Post
Slavery is evil so I think the greater question is how your players react to operating within a ultimately evil society. Do they just go along to get along? Or do they try to tear that society down? Since roleplaying is almost universally a form of escapism, I think most players go with the latter. Unless, they're consciously playing murder hobos. BURN THE VILLAGES! SALT THE FIELDS! LEAVE NONE ALIVE! Ah, good times...
Slavery is an evil, but isn't it a bit of a reductive simplification to declare all societies where evils may be encountered as 'ultimately evil'?

Even if you do, where does that leave you?

Is the violent destruction of civilisation always going to be a lesser evil?
Old 01-24-2019, 01:02 AM   #99
LordMunchkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Slavery is an evil, but isn't it a bit of a reductive simplification to declare all societies where evils may be encountered as 'ultimately evil'?

Even if you do, where does that leave you?

Is the violent destruction of civilisation always going to be a lesser evil?
I believe a society which practices widespread slavery is mostly evil. I'm not a complete moral absolutist, but slavery (along with rape and murder) is one of those things where I have to draw the line. I can accept that contemporary people may not have seen it that way (though there were always dissidents who did) but so what? Should our morals be based off of what a Roman centurion thought was acceptable 2,000 year ago? Or should we, with clear eyes looking back on the vast tragedy of human history, say some things are bad and nothing good will come of them? But I digress.

As for violently overthrowing civilization... eh, that's what many adventurer's do. The Sword and Sorcery genre is largely based on the violent rejection of civilization. It's escapism and totally unrealistic (see how do we feed the newly freed slaves), but that's what roleplaying, to me, is all about.
LordMunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:17 AM   #100
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMunchkin View Post
I believe a society which practices widespread slavery is mostly evil. I'm not a complete moral absolutist, but slavery (along with rape and murder) is one of those things where I have to draw the line. I can accept that contemporary people may not have seen it that way (though there were always dissidents who did) but so what? Should our morals be based off of what a Roman centurion thought was acceptable 2,000 year ago? Or should we, with clear eyes looking back on the vast tragedy of human history, say some things are bad and nothing good will come of them? But I digress.

As for violently overthrowing civilization... eh, that's what many adventurer's do. The Sword and Sorcery genre is largely based on the violent rejection of civilization. It's escapism and totally unrealistic (see how do we feed the newly freed slaves), but that's what roleplaying, to me, is all about.
To me, roleplaying is about exploring the viewpoint of characters that aren't merely poorly thought-out escapism wish-fulfilment versions of me, but actually exist as independent personalities, rooted in their world and their history. Like that Roman centurion, yes.

Or like a hero who tries to do the right thing without ignoring the realistic complexities of situations. Who is smart enough to know that violent upheaval kills a lot of people and that it's usually those least able to defend themselves who suffer the worst. Though I guess that could be merely my version of escapism or wish-fulfilment. I've never wanted to be the poor fool who murdered thousands because he never understood the first thing about the world.

Tags
slavery