Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 01-11-2019, 07:55 AM   #1
bluekitsune13

Default Is there a better way to track initiative?

This is the one part I like the most about TFT, but is also super fiddly for me. I like the fact that initiative is fluid, and is based actions and situations in the game. What I can never get a handle on is figuring a good way to track it. Pen and paper work okay, but it will get confusing sometimes. So we go down the line in adjDX order but it feels very slow. Then inevitably something happens where someone remembered a rule and we have to backtrack. Maybe that's just me.

I know that the turn system is a big part of the game, but has anyone come up with any tweaks that could be helpful?
bluekitsune13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:28 AM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Is there a better way to track initiative?

I've always ruled that if a player suddenly remembers a DX bonus then they get to act now, as per the waiting rules.

Do GMs need a simple Javascript tool that sorts the NPCs by current adjDX (for injury and etc)?

If so, how much of the rulebook tables would I be allowed to copy and paste into the code? (To date I've stuck with PHP to disallow anybody looking at the tables.)
Old 01-11-2019, 11:33 AM   #3
Anaraxes

How about a magnetic whiteboard, like an in/out board for tracking offices? Maybe write down some adjDX levels on the left for ease of reference, names or to be snazzy pictures on the tokens to know who's who, move the tokens up and down as the order changes due to fluid situations, slide them left and right to show who's already acted.

There are PC- and web-based equivalents if you wanted a software tracker.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:25 PM   #4
Skarg

(BTW Initiative means the 1-die rolls at the start of each turn to see who moves first. You're talking about action sequence.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekitsune13 View Post
I know that the turn system is a big part of the game, but has anyone come up with any tweaks that could be helpful?
I can usually track it in my head in small enough battles, but a few techniques I've used:

* Make a vertical list of DX numbers and/or the figures, and go down it.

* Have the GM/ref/designated-player call off DX numbers from highest to lowest, and people need to declare if they have any figures acting at that adjDX or not. Shifts responsibility to the players.

* We greatly reduced the types of DX adjustments that affected when things happened. Mostly we had situational DX adjustments and difficulty modifiers only affect the chance of success and not when an action occurred, so the sequence was mostly determined by the character as a whole and not who they were attacking. e.g. We house ruled such that an injury slows you down, but trying to hit someone in the head, or attack someone from behind, doesn't affect when your attack happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
I've always ruled that if a player suddenly remembers a DX bonus then they get to act now, as per the waiting rules.
Yes, I would try to avoid going back and un-doing anything, unless the GM really messes up something badly.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #5
ParadoxGames

I use counters for all my solutions. I have sets of homemade counters for life, gold, experience, and so on, so our sessions never use paper/pencil. (Also, players liked having tangible items to represent their earnings.) It wouldn't be too hard to make counters for DX to keep track of their present DX.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #6
TippetsTX

I'll be adapting my Pathfinder Combat Pad until SJG or some other entrepreneurial individual develops something similar for TFT (idea for the next Kickstarter!).

https://paizo.com/products/btpy9fkg?...der-Combat-Pad
Old 01-17-2019, 03:02 PM   #7
Axly Suregrip

The GM counts down the adjDX. For example, he says "Pole weapon charges, I know Phillip has a DX of 13... And more? Now regular combat starting with Stacy's adjDX of 14... Now anyone at 13 (does them), Now anyone at 12, "
etc

Your GM knows your team's DX and the monsters' DX. So, he tends to know where to start. Folks have to speak up or their character must have been distracted for an instant and goes later.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote