Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-09-2018, 04:19 PM   #1
Lameth

Default Electromagnetic vision power

I am attempting to make a electromagnetic vision power, seen in the TV show Black Lightning. For my modern urban fantasy/horror game.

If a person is invisible, this ability would see them. If they are behind a simlpe wall, the PC will see their electro outline.

Basically being able to see the living elecromagnetic aura around living people only, even through objects. It seems like it would be a combination of See Invisible and Penertating Vision, correct?
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:55 PM   #2
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: Electromagnetic vision power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth View Post
I am attempting to make a electromagnetic vision power, seen in the TV show Black Lightning. For my modern urban fantasy/horror game.

If a person is invisible, this ability would see them. If they are behind a simlpe wall, the PC will see their electro outline.

Basically being able to see the living elecromagnetic aura around living people only, even through objects. It seems like it would be a combination of See Invisible and Penertating Vision, correct?
I'm not familiar with the series, but it sounds like you have the right traits based on your description. Both of them will have a limitation if they can only be used to see people. That's a bigger hindrance for PV than for SI, I would say.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:58 AM   #3
cosmicfish

A few comments:

1) Human beings only radiate significantly in the infrared, so an ability to see other electromagnetic fields wouldn't help you to see people.

2) Electromagnetic vision, infrared or RF or whatever, would presumably see other sources as well.

3) Seeing radiation through a barrier would depend on the barrier not stopping those waves.

So either electromagnetics works differently in your universe (which would get very complicated very quickly) or this power is unrelated to electromagnetics.
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:44 AM   #4
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
So either electromagnetics works differently in your universe
Pretty much a given, as the OP says he's trying to duplicate a superhero power.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:51 AM   #5
Bruno

Considering that humans already have electromagnetic vision, I really wouldn't sweat the handwavium, and focus on the SFX.

An alternative option might be Detect Life (Precise), if it doesn't pick up electrical wires and computers. That will defeat invisibility vs traditional sight too.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:12 AM   #6
Lameth

From Superpower wiki

User can create, shape and manipulate electromagnetism which (with the exception of gravitation) account for almost all physical phenomena observable to the unaided human senses, including light and other electromagnetic radiation, all of chemistry, most of mechanics (excepting gravitation), and of course magnetism and electricity. That said, only few truly powerful individuals are capable reaching such heights of power, most users have to content themselves with lesser if still impressive abilities.

Due to the intense versatility with electricity (such as electrocution, heat generation, computer and mind hacking, and electrolysis) and magnetism (such as metal manipulation, magnetic levitation, atomic manipulation, and attract and repel), electromagnetism is one of the most powerful and versatile abilities in existence

Essentially right now he only has Control Electricity and Control Ferrous Metals, with a good amount of abilities under them. It is described as a small facets of a very broader scope of a potential power of control over all Electromagnetic. But since that encompassing power wound basically make you one of the most power supers with control over possibly life itself [as above] he instead has very small aspects of it.

He has various "Magneto" like powers and some "Electro" like powers. He is very close to the character in the video game Infamous; Cole MacGrath. All his powers are at a smaller level to outline a person just starting out, only got his powers a few months before.

One of the abilities I wanted was being to see the "electromagnetic aura" around living things, or maybe even all things.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:30 AM   #7
Daigoro

Electric Vision is in Psionic Powers (p33), and so is Aura Reading (p46). Both of them are based on the Detect advantage. Electric Vision would be closer, but you'd have to add some Reliability or some other enhancement to see faint bio-electric fields.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:36 AM   #8
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

That sounds like a custom scanning sense to me. Particuarly if he can use it to see and target foes through walls.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #9
Lameth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Electric Vision is in Psionic Powers (p33), and so is Aura Reading (p46). Both of them are based on the Detect advantage. Electric Vision would be closer, but you'd have to add some Reliability or some other enhancement to see faint bio-electric fields.

thank you! so what other enhancements to see bio also and "through walls"? and how deep through walls or objects could it penetrate?

You can see electrical currents as glowing outlines. This
makes it easy to detect hidden electronic devices and traps.
Electric lines are visible through a few inches of cover (drywall,
wood, soil, etc.). Make a skill roll, with penalties for
range (p. B550) and any vision penalties (e.g., darkness) to
use this ability.
At level 1, you must actively use Electric Vision to notice
anything. At level 2, it becomes a passive sense; the GM will
make skill rolls for you to notice unusual or out-of-place electric
fields.
Statistics: Detect (Electric Fields; Ergokinesis, -10%;
Vision-Based, Weaker Variant, -10%) [8]. The next level adds
Reflexive [12].
Old 09-10-2018, 09:44 AM   #10
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
That sounds like a custom scanning sense to me. Particuarly if he can use it to see and target foes through walls.
I was looking at Scanning Sense, but it seems it has to be an active emission. I think Detect (Electric Fields, Vision Based) is an accurate (i.e. ABC Accurate) explanation.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote