Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-09-2018, 07:28 AM   #1
Jarreth

Default Body Language vs Detect Lies

Why would anyone get the Detect Lies skill when the Body Language skill is BOTH the Empathy advantage and the Detect Lies skill? Not to mention it's cheaper as well as its only Per/A where Detect Lies is Per/H.

I understand that Body Language is only on a subject you can see. Though cant help feel it's a bit OP.
Jarreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:50 AM   #2
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: Body Language vs Detect Lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarreth View Post
Why would anyone get the Detect Lies skill when the Body Language skill is BOTH the Empathy advantage and the Detect Lies skill? Not to mention it's cheaper as well as its only Per/A where Detect Lies is Per/H.

I understand that Body Language is only on a subject you can see. Though cant help feel it's a bit OP.
Here's an old post of Kromm's showing the differences between them, that may be useful.
It IS a bit overpowered and probably should be Per/H.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:12 AM   #3
Jarreth

Thanks Not another shrubbery. That is a good post explaining alot but still feel it doesn't explain why anyone would want to put points in Detect Lie when they can get that skill and more with Body Language.

Is Body Language supposed to be a form of Cold Reading or ?
Old 05-09-2018, 08:18 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarreth View Post
Thanks Not another shrubbery. That is a good post explaining alot but still feel it doesn't explain why anyone would want to put points in Detect Lie when they can get that skill and more with Body Language.
Body Language takes all vision penalties, and doesn't work against purely audio or text channels. The uFAQ adds a few more notes on these skills and Advantage.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:44 AM   #5
Maz

In my games i have lumped them Together into a single skill called Sense Motive (per/h)
It works as Body language but can be used on audio at a penalty.
It is used both to counter fast talk and acting. But also to notice if people "act differently than youd expect" or to notice "tells" that might show anxiety or nervousness or the like. Psychology can usually be used to make a guess as to why someone might be nervous or anxious.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:25 AM   #6
Jarreth

Thanks vicky_molokh and Maz.

I think I will do a little house-ruling here, and edit Body Language abit.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #7
JazzJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
In my games i have lumped them Together into a single skill called Sense Motive (per/h)
It works as Body language but can be used on audio at a penalty.
It is used both to counter fast talk and acting. But also to notice if people "act differently than youd expect" or to notice "tells" that might show anxiety or nervousness or the like. Psychology can usually be used to make a guess as to why someone might be nervous or anxious.
This is way better than separating them, as they are aspects of the same ability. Or maybe they should default to each other at -2 instead of -4. It would be like splitting the Observation skill into a vision and hearing version (Spot and Listen). Observation should cover "interesting" sounds as well as sights, unless someone is only using a TV monitor to access an area. Sight, hearing, and even touch are complementary and integral to each other in most skill use, including skills like Mechanics, Lockpicking, Music Instrument, all interaction skills, and so forth. I've merged quite a few skills that were, IMO, different aspects of the same skill. I think Techniques work better at defining different aspects of skills, rather than lots of overlapping defaults.
JazzJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:25 AM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzJedi View Post
This is way better than separating them, as they are aspects of the same ability. Or maybe they should default to each other at -2 instead of -4. It would be like splitting the Observation skill into a vision and hearing version (Spot and Listen). Observation should cover "interesting" sounds as well as sights, unless someone is only using a TV monitor to access an area. Sight, hearing, and even touch are complementary and integral to each other in most skill use, including skills like Mechanics, Lockpicking, Music Instrument, all interaction skills, and so forth. I've merged quite a few skills that were, IMO, different aspects of the same skill. I think Techniques work better at defining different aspects of skills, rather than lots of overlapping defaults.
Except in this case it's more like a split between Observation and Intelligence Analysis. Now, if we're marging all skills into a manageable list of 20-30, then of course Body Language and Detect Lies go under the same umbrella. But otherwise they are very different approaches - one more delivery-focused, the other much more content-focused.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:33 AM   #9
Gollum

Yes, and it also allows to have Player Characters with about the same ability (detect lies) but different backgrounds: the psychologist, the empathic, the mentalist, the cop or journalist used to meet a lot of liars ...

It makes the game more deep and "realistic" ... Even if it is not necessarily perfectly balanced in terms of point cost.

Last edited by Gollum; 05-10-2018 at 04:41 AM.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:51 PM   #10
JazzJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Except in this case it's more like a split between Observation and Intelligence Analysis. Now, if we're marging all skills into a manageable list of 20-30, then of course Body Language and Detect Lies go under the same umbrella. But otherwise they are very different approaches - one more delivery-focused, the other much more content-focused.
Not sure I agree, but I am not an expert. Everything I have read of the psychology of interrogation and human lie detection is in the ability to pick up on verbal and non-verbal cues. Are these aspects separated and taught separately? If they aren't, then this is really one skill with a several dimensions, like most GURPS skills.
JazzJedi is offline   Reply With Quote