Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:37 AM   #1
TheAmishStig

Default Laminating materials

Just putting it out there: If you want to laminate materials so that they become reusable [as I plan on doing this weekend with the Ogre Quickplay Sheets], Officemax / Office Depot is running a sale on their entry-level heat lamination machines.

$20 for the machine, $15 for a 10-pack of pouches. It's not the biggest or fastest thing in the world...it'll do an 8 1/2x11 sheet in 1-2 minutes, and caps out at 5mil pouches...but should serve my purposes nicely.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #2
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Laminating materials

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
Just putting it out there: If you want to laminate materials so that they become reusable [as I plan on doing this weekend with the Ogre Quickplay Sheets], Officemax / Office Depot is running a sale on their entry-level heat lamination machines.

$20 for the machine, $15 for a 10-pack of pouches. It's not the biggest or fastest thing in the world...it'll do an 8 1/2x11 sheet in 1-2 minutes, and caps out at 5mil pouches...but should serve my purposes nicely.
That's a decent deal. It's surprising just how many things can benefit from lamination; especially if you are involved with school/fundraisers/etc to say nothing about gaming components.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:35 AM   #3
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
That's a decent deal. It's surprising just how many things can benefit from lamination; especially if you are involved with school/fundraisers/etc to say nothing about gaming components.
I've been looking at laminating some things for a while now...the Ogre cheat sheets, the standardized Car Wars design I use for convention 'intro' games, really anything that I expect to use year in and year out that would be nice to have laying around an event table.

But at $50-$200 for a machine normally...I couldn't bring myself to spend that.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Old 08-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #4
Cat

5 mil is plenty sturdy for gaming use.

Years ago, I got a Scotch 3M Thermal Laminator on a flash deal at Amazon. I knew that would be a super addition to my lifestyle, and it certainly has been. I've found that buying the Scotch thermal pouches at Amazon to be a far better price than at Staples/Office stores.

I quickly figured out, just buy the 100-packs of pouches, that is easier and cheaper in the long run. Even if you only need a few for one project, you'll want more for another later, and you'll save time and money just having the bulk pack on hand.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
5 mil is plenty sturdy for gaming use.

Years ago, I got a Scotch 3M Thermal Laminator on a flash deal at Amazon. I knew that would be a super addition to my lifestyle, and it certainly has been. I've found that buying the Scotch thermal pouches at Amazon to be a far better price than at Staples/Office stores.

I quickly figured out, just buy the 100-packs of pouches, that is easier and cheaper in the long run. Even if you only need a few for one project, you'll want more for another later, and you'll save time and money just having the bulk pack on hand.
Good to know. I got 15 Swinglines, because they were in a bin right next to the machines themselves. With what's in the box, that should get me through this fall's convention season [8 Ogre Cheat Sheets and 8 ODE Terrain Effects sheets]

One thing that I noticed, and bugs me: There isn't a single Ogre rulebook I've found that actually lists the stats for the various cybertanks. They're only on the reference cards [or the sheets of reference cards that were in ODE / W23]. It's driven me mad playing with a scenario idea, because I have to keep running out, opening the big box, and scribbling notes.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Old 08-16-2018, 12:11 PM   #6
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
One thing that I noticed, and bugs me: There isn't a single Ogre rulebook I've found that actually lists the stats for the various cybertanks. They're only on the reference cards [or the sheets of reference cards that were in ODE / W23]. It's driven me mad playing with a scenario idea, because I have to keep running out, opening the big box, and scribbling notes.
I'm assuming that's to avoid duplication of effort. Using the PDF of the reference sheets has been the most helpful for me regarding that issue.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:32 PM   #7
Cat

Quote:
Good to know. I got 15 Swinglines, because they were in a bin right next to the machines themselves. With what's in the box, that should get me through this fall's convention season [8 Ogre Cheat Sheets and 8 ODE Terrain Effects sheets]
I got some Swinglines once in a pinch because they were on the shelf. They worked, but the Scotch are far more consistent and better quality. After that is when I started buying the bulk packs from Amazon.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:02 PM   #8
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:

Andy,
If I might suggest something. Insert copies of record cards in the sheets made for baseball cards (or bigger they make them in all sizes) that would make them modular for your events. You can make your own if you have a Food Saver. Use the roll bags, heat seal both ends as well as create a seam across the middle then cut the sides to create the opening. Simple.
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:08 PM   #9
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
and you'll save time and money just having the bulk pack on hand.
Assuming you can find them when you need them, that's usually my issue. :-)