Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin Collectible Card Game

Old 08-08-2018, 05:21 AM   #1
Superfaab

Default One sided, boring, gameplay; Are we doing this right?

Hey All,

My wife and I recently bought Munching CCG to have fun with. We watched an intro video, read the quickstart guide and had the full rules on standby for playing our first games. The first one was very rough, trying to get a hold of the gameplay.

On our second game was what can only be described as extremely boring. The situation was as follows.

Me, playing Ranger. My wife Playing Warrior. Both standard decks from starter pack, not exchanged any cards from booster pack.

During play we went through the normal steps, playing cards that we could as the phases allowed.

The shuffling of the deck however resulted in both of our hands full of Monsters, and no weapons of allies up until level 5.
What this resulted in is that I could play a monster, lay down the required coins to pass the cheating check. My wife, having no allies or defence in play chose to run away. Fine the first time around.
The monster goes to the stash, and the coins I placed next to it back to my purse.

Then I get to continue my munchkiningphase, and I place another monster down. My wife still has no defense (or useable interrupts), so runs away again.

Repeat for the rest of the monsters in my hand (about 6), so 10 hero damage each turn (depending on the monster level and coins).
And when her turn comes, she could do the same to me.
Then when my turn comes, I collect the monsters from the stash and repeat.

Needless to say, this was a rather boring game and made me question a few things.
- Are we playing it right? Should the money on a monster be returned to my purse?

- Is there a limit to how many times you can attack? (doesn't seem that way from the rules).

It seems an extremely one sided aspect of the game that you basically have no defense to without the right RNG luck on card draws. I realize that RNG luck is what makes the games varied from one another, but this seems to me to be too one sided to remain 'fun'.
Superfaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:06 AM   #2
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.
Default Re: One sided, boring, gameplay; Are we doing this right?

It sounds like you're allowing multiple "Run Away" uses per turn. You can only do it once, then you flip the token over to "Limp Away." Any time you use it after that on the same turn, you Limp Away which causes 2 damage to you.

You don't flip it back to "Run Away" until your next Warmup Phase.

Seems like you're handling the gold and DMZ right. And yeah, sometimes the shuffle will bring you a few turns of low to no activity.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:52 AM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Also remember that you're allowed to mulligan your starting hand once if you get a lousy draw.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:51 AM   #4
Aleph
Administrator

Also, in that scenario, you can choose not to run away. Taking a single hit from one monster and forcing your opponent to actually pay the gold cost might be a better strategy than 4-5 Limp Away attempts.
Aleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #5
Oldpreach

Just got the game yesterday and I've only played 3 games with the kids so far. But, I can say that the first game started a bit slow, but then took off nicely. The third game was very interesting, as my cleric was pretty much dominating, but the the thief made an amazing come back. I was up their 18 damage to my 5 after using a healing salvo for a heal of 6. Two turns later I lose 19 to 20. That was a blast even though I lost.

Bad shuffle sounds like. That's easy if you just took the cards out of the box. Also, it took me all three games to stop getting things wrong about rules and procedures. In any CCG, it's also easy to have a bit of a bad card mix. This is where the thief special ability shines.

Try playing 5 or ten games, and get all three starter packs !
Oldpreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:59 PM   #6
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpreach View Post
This is where the thief special ability shines.
In case you didn't see the change and still have old cards, the Thief ability now draws only one card instead of two.