Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 05-03-2019, 08:03 AM   #1
Shadekeep

Default DOTM question

When I posted the first Dungeon Of The Month I got a good amount of feedback. However, there has been virtually nothing following the two subsequent releases. I wanted to ask, should I be posting each one in its own thread? Or is there just not any interest in them?

I plan to continue releasing them, as I set myself this project as a challenge and way of disciplining myself to reach writing goals. I just wanted to see if there is any way I can make them more visible or useful for you all, assuming folks are interested in them. Thanks!
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:14 AM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: DOTM question

I am downloading and using them; I think your efforts are definitely appreciated. Keep in mind there are several thousand people out there who have the new game, but only a couple dozen (at most) who post here regularly. So, there is more than you can see going on 'under the water line'
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:14 AM   #3
warhorse11h

Keep it up. I hadn't been following these, but I will now.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:23 AM   #4
Shadekeep

Thank you both. I was hoping that there was in essence a quiet audience for these. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing out any way to make them more obvious or convenient for folks. I really appreciate your responses!
Old 05-03-2019, 08:40 AM   #5
Helborn

Definitely please continue. Have not had time to incorporate them into a session as yet but they are on the list for the future
Old 05-03-2019, 08:41 AM   #6
FireHorse

I have greedily downloaded them all so far, but have only skimmed them, and have not yet read them thoroughly or printed them. I shall make a point of exploring them in more detail this weekend, and post some feedback for you.

I can offer one piece of totally superficial, first-glance feedback that occurred to me already though, when I gave them the once over (to make sure they had downloaded correctly): I would recommend dividing your text into two columns, because it would greatly improve legibility.

A Page Layout Rule of Thumb: Regardless of the text's size, you should usually never have more than a dozen or so words per line.

That's just a graphic design quibble though, not a substantive evaluation of your content. I'll have more relevant remarks after I've done some reading. ;)

And yes, by all means, keep building more!
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:26 AM   #7
Shadekeep

Thanks for these comments as well, and good suggestions about legibility. I'll play around with the formatting and see what I can do to make it better. In some cases there are tables that need the whole page width, but they could be arranged outside of column-ised text. And I do have a tendency towards run-on sentence. ^_^
Old 05-03-2019, 09:30 AM   #8
RVA_Grandpa

I have downloaded them all too, and plan to add them to my own campaigns in the future. I also agree with Firehorse about the text. I find it hard to read as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
I can offer one piece of totally superficial, first-glance feedback that occurred to me already though, when I gave them the once over (to make sure they had downloaded correctly): I would recommend dividing your text into two columns, because it would greatly improve legibility.
Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to the April posting.
We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.
RVA_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:29 AM   #9
Shadekeep

Thanks! One other question about legibility: Do you prefer regularly spaced type, as is currently used (the right edge of the text is "ragged")? Or do you prefer justified text, where the spacing is variable but the left and right edges are both even? Most professional printing is justified, including the Melee/Wizard/ITL books, and I'm thinking of changing the text to that once I get the two-column format working.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:30 AM   #10
FireHorse

Justification (or the lack thereof) doesn't really affect legibility all that much, but justified text is usually more aesthetically pleasing, especially with multiple columns.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote