Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-07-2019, 01:20 AM   #101
andreww

Default Re: TFT Helper - beta test of app

iOS users!

I just got the notice from Apple that they have approved 0.9.3 for beta testing. You should be able to install it, provided you have Testflight (from Apple) installed.

Based on past experience they will notify all the users in a day or two, but those of you watching this forum can go get it now.
andreww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:28 PM   #102
Shroomofinsanity

Maybe I am a big, blind dummy, but the link I had been going to for the download pops up with a message that the tft helper app is no longer accepting responses. Is there a different link I should be following instead? I am an andoird user by the way.
Shroomofinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:18 PM   #103
andreww

Download TFT Helper APK

You can download it to any Android device, but those with unusual configurations may not work (lookin' at you, Kindle). I hope to support Kindles and other Android variants, more on that next week.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:58 AM   #104
MikMod

I signed up a week or so ago, but haven't heard anything. (iPad + TestFlight)

Am I too late somehow, or is it just an Apple delay thing?
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:37 AM   #105
Fuhrmanator

I'm playing some wizards now, and here are the bugs I found:
  • Trying to disbelieve an illusion it said I was using adjDX to disbelieve.
  • When pole weapons (charge) attack first in the round, It would be good to have a feedback to let people know. Otherwise it looks strange when a lower dex figure attacks before a higher dex.
  • The buttons for deciding actions can't be undone, and when there are a lot e.g. for a wizard with several spells, a fat finger is unforgiving. I once found I tried to summon a myrmidon rather than create an illusion of a bear, which at first I thought was a bug. Perhaps a confirmation step could be introduced when picking an action?
  • At 80, there are lots of odd things with created/summoned creatures. Once a bear was created and I chose to attack it. The combat log said it was engaged, yet when my turn to attack came, "Your enemy is not adjacent, so your attack doesn't take place," only to next be attacked by the bear. when this happened, the wizard was also summoning another animal. Perhaps the attack when you register it in the action points to a different object when the action comes up (if you're using a list of creatures with an index).
  • During the same encounter, the app crashed with a "Runtime: 8608#Uncaught TypeError: theString.substring is not a function" Alert.
  • Choosing a staff for a weapon was not intuitive. It's not on the weapon list (even though it appears in a weapon slot), and the spell is listed under Arcane at the bottom of the list. It would be cool to me if when a wizard type is chosen in the editor, a staff spell is listed by default.
Keep up the great work!

Last edited by Fuhrmanator; 06-08-2019 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Typos
Fuhrmanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:52 AM   #106
andreww

I think it means your attempt to disbelieve happens when your adjDX comes around, the roll should be against IQ. I need to clarify that.

Pole weapons - yet another example of a need for additional clarity!

I don't like confirmation buttons, they slow things down. But it's no fun suffering from the wrong action because the buttons are too small. A feature that occurred to me that I didn't implement is user-selectable text size in the adventure. That could be a 1.1 thing. Or confirmation buttons as a user option? Yuck, but that's just my opinion.

If you add the Staff spell and have nothing in the upper weapon slot it will add a staff automatically.

Not sure what you meant by "At 80". I will look into the other things in that paragraph. If you get that again email me a combat log.

This is all tremendously helpful, I can't wait to get back to work on it next week!
Old 06-09-2019, 02:10 AM   #107
Fuhrmanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreww View Post
This is all tremendously helpful, I can't wait to get back to work on it next week!
Here's some more:
  • After dropping my longbow after a 17 roll, I was given the option to recover dropped weapon or shoot enemy. The display showed I hadn't dropped the weapon at all.
  • The boundary-free rooms basically allow a retreat until a wizard enemy expires before his nasties get close, because they always take 1/2 ma moves. Enemy summonings should try to engage at full ma even if they give up an attack. Or you could limit how much a character can back up.
  • At 999 there's a strange number of 6s in the combat, which doesn't look like other combats ;-)
  • Edits: I made my way out. Missile Weapons III seems pretty useful ;-)
  • There's a bug with my archer who has no 2nd weapon to save on talents. After a victory, the game switches to "bare hands" as the ready weapon (2nd slot?) and it goes on like that for the rest of the game. At every battle, I had to carefully re-ready my bow. I have screen shots if you want to see.
  • I never found any healing; any of the two consumable items I found caused fatigue.
  • I made a map, which I can email you if you want.
  • When the enemy runs away, e.g., X is hurting and runs, there is part of the movement GUI that remains. That is, the Take X Steps and Act or Dodge menu and the two buttons And Act and And Dodge. Below them is the text explaining what happens when the enemy dies, followed by a Continue button. Again, I have screen shots if needed.
  • During encounter at 254, after the Dazzle spell, I saw a message in the Movement section, "is engaged." with no subject. Seems very odd, as if there was an unnamed character as part of the combat.

Last edited by Fuhrmanator; 06-09-2019 at 11:48 AM. Reason: more bugs
Old 06-12-2019, 01:53 PM   #108
randiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhrmanator View Post
[*]After dropping my longbow after a 17 roll, I was given the option to recover dropped weapon or shoot enemy. The display showed I hadn't dropped the weapon at all.
Should thrown weapons be available to be picked up? I threw a spear, then had my sword break. I would have liked to run to that spear at that point (as I was fighting an armored foe who could not be injured by broken sword).

Speaking of thrown weapons, a few times I decided to throw a weapon only to discover the heavy negative DX adjustment after I had already committed to the action. Either an undo on the throw, or a display of the modifier ("Throw X at Y at - Z Dx ?" at the choice point would be helpful).
randiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:20 PM   #109
andreww

Quote:
Originally Posted by randiv View Post
Should thrown weapons be available to be picked up? I threw a spear, then had my sword break. I would have liked to run to that spear at that point (as I was fighting an armored foe who could not be injured by broken sword).

Speaking of thrown weapons, a few times I decided to throw a weapon only to discover the heavy negative DX adjustment after I had already committed to the action. Either an undo on the throw, or a display of the modifier ("Throw X at Y at - Z Dx ?" at the choice point would be helpful).
Thrown weapons are recovered at the end of the fight. Not much help in your situation.

The DX penalty used to be displayed, but I guess that got lost in the big combat re-write. I'll see if we can put that back, I agree it's good to know before you accidentally commit to a -10 throw...

Thank you!
Old 06-13-2019, 02:35 AM   #110
Fuhrmanator

I was playing an Elf (Jeanne) with a Rapier, no armor, a small shield, Talents: Knife, Shield, Shield Expertise, Sword, Fencer, Literacy and Running. During movement with Hunchbacked Warlock (Arena) Jeanne moved 14 towards enemy to engage. I was still given an option to Defend or Disengage during the Action phase. I can send a screenshot if you need.

That seems wrong, but maybe this is a special ability of Elves with those talents in the new TFT?