Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-20-2019, 11:25 AM   #31
Skarg

Default Re: Missle spells in ITL

I'd say the wizard lethality rate (like the lethality rate for other types) is a combination of many things, as we've already mentioned several of. Those things will be different in every group (and different from game situation to situation), and will also be seen differently by people with different perspectives.

Again, the two rule settings I use that I think help wizard survival a lot are:

* Only have figures die from wounds - if ST is below zero partly just from fatigue, have that just knock them out, but not kill them.

* Allow and remind figures they can Dodge when attacked by missile fire (if they haven't acted yet that turn). (i.e. don't let the new description convince you you need to declare Dodge during movement or else you can't dodge - many wizards will die from that (and many more will be unable to do anything as they dodge while no one attacks them))

But I think even moreso, what leads to wizard death are situations and tactics. A wizard who behaves like a careful US football quarterback, with allies who behave like defensive linemen, is vastly less likely to die than a wizard who regularly moves where he can be attacked, and/or whose friends make little or no effort to screen their wizard friends from attacks.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:36 PM   #32
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
* Only have figures die from wounds - if ST is below zero partly just from fatigue, have that just knock them out, but not kill them.
I meant to quote you on that in my last post too. That's the single simplest house rule any group could use to effectively lessen wizard mortality. Not the only way to skin that cat, but probably the most elegant.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:33 PM   #33
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
I meant to quote you on that in my last post too. That's the single simplest house rule any group could use to effectively lessen wizard mortality. Not the only way to skin that cat, but probably the most elegant.
Several people came up with it independently, and many more used it after it was shared on the Internet many years ago.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:33 PM   #34
JustAnotherJarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
... A wizard who behaves like a careful US football quarterback, with allies who behave like defensive linemen, is vastly less likely to die than a wizard who regularly moves where he can be attacked, and/or whose friends make little or no effort to screen their wizard friends from attacks.
I think that says it all... it's a very D&D type of Neutral Good party approach.

It just didn't seem to be the flavor in my mischievous group...lol

To add to that, I think it was almost always a limit of ONE wizard in a PC party, to reflect the rarity of wizards on Cidri.

It's Why I built a beginning 14/12/12 Lizard Wizard as my strongest wizard ever, and the only wizard to ever achieve mastering wizards wrath before I retired him.

The advancement just became impossible, but it sure was a fun run having your wizard rip someones throat out with his claws n teeth, and that rear hex tail smack at no minus to hit.

Oh Steve....bring back the good ol days of the Greater creatures...lol
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote