Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 07-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
isu_trickster

Default Help Me Out Here (2 questions)

1) Does a player need to max out what they can do before playing the "Help me out here" card to steal an item?
Situation 1: Player 1 is a Warrior of a combat strength of 9 (level + items). She is fighting a monster of level 13. Does she have to use all of her berserker bonuses before using the "Help me out here" card to steal a +3 item from another player? Or does she have the option to only use 1 berserker bonus and steal the +3?

2) Does the player using "Help me out here" to steal any item they wish as long as it gets them stronger than the monster? Or does it have to be the weakest item that would get them the win? +3 item vs +5 item. The +3 could get them the win, so obviously so does the +5.
isu_trickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Help Me Out Here (2 questions)

The only important factor when determining whether you can use Help Me Out Here is whether you are losing the combat under the current circumstances. Nothing on the card says you have to have done everything else you could possibly do to win first. Also, the Item you take must change the circumstances so that you are winning. Nothing on the card says you have to take the least powerful Item that would get you the win. Though it would seem that in most cases you might not want to do so, I can understand where you might. In any case, you can take any Item you want as long as you can use it once you've taken it.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
six's monkey

All is fair, so long as the effect(s) of the item taken switch the taker from 'losing' to 'winning' the combat at that moment.

Right?
six's monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:57 AM   #4
cheesewheel

i have a question about a warrior and the use of the "help me out here card"

fount this on another post::

HMOH may only be used to take something that will allow you to "Kill" the monster(s) in that battle if you were unable to do so before hand.

HMOH may also be used to take something that will allow you to defeat any amount of monsters, as long as 1 is left for you to kill, and as long as you ARE able to kill said left monster.

HMOH may not be used to take something if you are already winning.

HMOH may not be used to take something that would "Defeat" all of the monsters without "Killing" them.

HMOH may thus not be used to take something that would allow you to run away automatically, the item has to make the difference between winning and losing, and running away means you were losing the fight

as explained before:

Winning = The sum of your side's levels and bonuses, minus your side's Penalties being a higher value than the sum of the monsters' side's levels and bonuses, minus the monsters' penalties.

Losing = Anytime your total Combat Strength (Levels+Bonuses-Penalties) is not higher than the monster's Combat Strength

Exception to those; Warriors, since they can win ties.

new text/questionBUT

HMOH says that when you play it you can ONLY take a card that will allow you to beat the number of points that the monster has. so say monster has level 10 and you are a level 7 with position and armor all added up. (you would need to take a +4 card or higher to beat the monster)

but what happens if you are a warrior? can you take a +3 card from someone to let the warrior tie as his card states for the tie win? or do you have to follow the rules of the HMOH card and not take a card that isn't strong enough to put you over the strength over the monster as stated in the Q and A portion of the munchkin game rules?

understood that a warrior wins on ties. but the HMOH card requires its use to put you ahead of the monsters level and not just tie it.

Last edited by cheesewheel; 07-26-2020 at 11:36 AM.
cheesewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:30 PM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Warriors can use HMOE to take a card that would tie them with the monster(s), because the Warrior would be winning the fight after playing that card. Thanks for the great question!

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:49 PM   #6
cheesewheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Warriors can use HMOE to take a card that would tie them with the monster(s), because the Warrior would be winning the fight after playing that card. Thanks for the great question!

HMOE?? assuming this is different then the HMOH?

So your saying for 100% clarification that HOMH CANT be used to win on a tie? Unless the card that u take gives you a definitive advantage over your monster meeting one or more points for the victory b/c of the HMOH card rules?
Old 07-26-2020, 01:58 PM   #7
cheesewheel

Also, the rules for the HMOH card says u can’t take a card u less it puts u ahead of the monster by points. Does the warrior just trump the rules for the HMOH card in that instance?

That’s where the confusion is coming from. The HMOH CARD says u can’t take a card that will result in a tie etc... it says it has to put u ahead.

Where the warrior says it’ll let u win on a tie. (But the warrior would never need a tie). Because if you can’t fulfill the HMOH card to beat the monster you shouldent have played it to begin.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:26 PM   #8
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesewheel View Post
HMOE?? assuming this is different then the HMOH?
Yes, it was a typo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesewheel View Post
So your saying for 100% clarification that HOMH CANT be used to win on a tie? Unless the card that u take gives you a definitive advantage over your monster meeting one or more points for the victory b/c of the HMOH card rules?
I'm saying that you have to be winning by at least one *unless* you are a Warrior or have some other card that lets you win ties. (There is at least one Treasure that does it; I'm not searching all 10,000+ cards to see if there are others.)

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote