Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 06-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
whitecloud197

Default How do you play your Original Munchkin?

So when I was new at Munchkin and Loved it ( I Love it MORE Now)

I bought the original Munchkin, and bought ALL The expansion packs and ALL The side decks and played with them all at the same time because they were all awesome....

the problem is the 18 inches of treasure cards and door cards in the middle of the table....

What do you guys do when you play ? i dont suppose you play with ALL the expansions at once....

do you pick and choose before hand what expansions you want to use ? and then sort them back out later?

Im thinking i need to change my game plan here....
whitecloud197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
LordArach

Default Re: How do you play your Original Munchkin?

I think a good way to go is to thoroughly shuffle them all together and then split the deck in half. This way you should still get a good mix but you don't have an enormous stack of cards. Either that or keep the enormous stack of cards in an effort to impress your friends and passersby. You can then adjust to a twenty level game.
LordArach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
Mister Ed

For the longest time all I had was the core set. Then, as I bought expansions, I added them in and still played with everything. However, as I bought MORE expansions, while I haven't ruled out doing a "play with everything" game, I haven't done so yet. So far I have been limiting it to the core set plus two regular expansions, plus (thus far) one extra deck (Munchkinomicon, Fairy Dust, or Dungeons) per game.

I might be more inclined to try a bigger deck if I had an automatic shuffler, but I haven't gotten one yet. As far as having big stacks in the middle of the table, I just bought the Boxes of Holding, and was thinking I might just leave the cards in there and draw straight from the box, for Doors and Treasures.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
whitecloud197

Yeah I was thinking something Similar, While playing with them all is cool, theres such a variety you dont get to use everything.....

Im thinking the core set plus 2 expansions would be a good mix... THen each game you pick and choose what expansions you want to use for that night.
whitecloud197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
LordArach

That's cool. It just sucks sorting them back out so you can play a different combination the next time. I would definitely leave 2 and 4 in all the time and maybe add others to it depending on your mood. You could also refer to the Munchkin Meyhem thread for another idea regarding mixing decks and expansions.

Last edited by LordArach; 06-08-2011 at 07:07 PM.
LordArach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
snarky

Shuffle them all together, and after each game roll the discards to the bottom of the stack (or separate them completely) and just re-use the stack for several games or game sessions.
snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #7
SmokeRulz

I have all the expansions, boosters, and almost all the promos. I have them all mixed together. I play with them all at once, and I do a nice bit of shuffling, then only play with a chunk of each deck, since the two decks are too huge otherwise. If we have a lot of players (I had games of 8 or 9 people before I got the color cards), then I'll use all the cards and split them into two piles, one pair on each middle-end of the table.
Apocalypse: 1-2, supplements
Legends: 1
SmokeRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I might be more inclined to try a bigger deck if I had an automatic shuffler, but I haven't gotten one yet.
As a word of caution, you may want to try out automatic shufflers with some non-Munchkin cards first ... I don't know if I just had a really cheap shuffler or what, but waaaay back in the day the one I had really tore the hell out of some of my Magic cards.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:37 AM   #9
ComBAT

My group and I don't have a solution currently except that we shuffle and take 1 or 2 normal sized decks out of it to play with.
Problem is that shuffling 300+ cards is tedious and you could be without several key cards if the decks aren't perfectly balanced with races, classes, monsters, curses etc.

If it were a simple enough process to separate the expansions and all the boosters, we could then just pick and choose expansions to combine with the base set when we felt like it.

For this case I think it may have been almost better to have at most 2 expansions for the base set and then create a new base set for the other ideas. This new base set would be similar enough to Fantasy Munchkin that blending it would have replaced having giant decks of cards. Maybe make the newest base set with the same backs for doors and treasures but with another color.

Maybe it doesn't make sense and maybe it does, but the tediousness of the number of cards, shuffling, balancing decks, separating expansions/boosters, and the frequency of any of the newer cards appearing if you were to shuffle in all of the expansions plus the base set just has become more of a deterrent from playing Fantasy over the other Munchkin themes lately. Adding a regular booster like "Marked for Death" is like throwing my lucky penny in with a jar of 50 pennies.
ComBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:44 AM   #10
Tomixcomics

Me and my friends play with ALL the expansions and quite frankly we love it that way, we think that although it complicates thigns it keeps them interesting, plus it pretty much guarentees that some cards willa lways be a surprise. Before each game we take out all thep ortals and custom made cards and shuffle them into the top parts of the decks so we're sure they come out, anything else that comes out is just random luck and changes with each game. Quite frnakly we wouldn't ahve it any other way. The only time that this really does seem to be a problem is when you'replaying with someone new who doesn't know Munchkin yet.
Tomixcomics is offline   Reply With Quote