Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #41
Godogma

Default Re: GURPS Shadowrun

If I do use a similar rule, it will more resemble a SR 3e style system where you pay for what lifestyle your character has that you want instead of a flat 80% fee.
Godogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #42
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godogma View Post
If I do use a similar rule, it will more resemble a SR 3e style system where you pay for what lifestyle your character has that you want instead of a flat 80% fee.
Since it's proportional to Wealth, that's basically the effect that it has. Someone with great Wealth compared to Status is just living more within their means, hence the lower monthly cost of living.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #43
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Everything has a Legality Class associated with it, and it depends on what item they want and how their background is set up.

Sir_pudding, as for it being easier than bean counting - saying that the $600 cost of living covers rent and food and whatnot also covers that so its just as easy my way.
BTW, the quote button in the lower right of each post lets you respond to people and quote them. The smaller button to the right lets you multi-quote like SirPudding did with our posts.

Here's what I'm saying. If a LC 2 Assault Rifle costs $700, this is not how much it would cost me (Nathan) to acquire a fully automatic weapon. If you let your PCs have all their cash to spend on stuff, are you also inflating the cost of stuff that's greater than LC 4? Especially if they're SINless? Because that should also rapidly eat into their funds.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:34 PM   #44
Godogma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
BTW, the quote button in the lower right of each post lets you respond to people and quote them. The smaller button to the right lets you multi-quote like SirPudding did with our posts.

Here's what I'm saying. If a LC 2 Assault Rifle costs $700, this is not how much it would cost me (Nathan) to acquire a fully automatic weapon. If you let your PCs have all their cash to spend on stuff, are you also inflating the cost of stuff that's greater than LC 4? Especially if they're SINless? Because that should also rapidly eat into their funds.
Thanks for telling me how to multi-quote, I wasn't aware of that. Realistically if you wanted a fully automatic weapon there are many very simple ways for you to acquire one, especially if you have access to a machine shop. LC 3 where supposedly things are licensed (which in reality I've never seen a pistol that I had to license or a rifle - laws on that vary immeasurably state by state).

If you wanted an "assault" rifle in the US you file for a permit, which costs 400 bucks, then you can legally own assault rifles (or at least that's what the Class 3 firearms permit used to cost) and many other things. If you want a silencer for a rifle or pistol its a 200 buck tax stamp per silencer but that Class 3 permit may even cover that.

As for body armor? That's legal to own if you want it already. People just look at you funny. You have to take into consideration in SR you can buy guns out of vending machines as well. Insert credstick, receive polymer pistol with full magazine.

In closing on that issue, it mostly depends on the setting and the character's background. Yes, for a SINless character (which is a disadvantage worth points) I amplify the costs on some things especially firearms if they're going through legal channels. If they're going through a black market it depends on market saturation, model, how hard the things are to acquire for the person selling them etc.

EDIT: Actually it seems you pay a $200 fee per firearm much like a silencer, and then you pay what the dealer wants for the firearm in question, the license I was thinking of is a whole other kettle of fish. Its a dealer specific license, and I think the fees have changed for it since I last researched it; its also not known as a Class 3 license.

Last edited by Godogma; 09-27-2010 at 07:52 PM. Reason: FFL Info
Old 09-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #45
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

My problem with using CoL for everything is that I think it assumes you already have stuff. If you stay in a hotel, you're paying 20% of CoL daily. I'm probably status 0, but I pay way more than $600 a month for food, rent, cell phone, car insurance, etc, and my car is paid off.

I'm actually halfway tempted to lower starting wealth levels to 20% of their value and just let people who want more take a "Rootless" disad and trade points for cash.

Semper Fi
Old 09-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #46
Godogma

That's entirely up to you as a Game Master, personally I'd tell you where to get off and go play with someone else. The main thing involved in gaming is that everyone have fun and if a rule or set of rules is getting in the way of that then you either change the rule(s) or find a way to compromise or don't play at all.

*shrug* That's just the way things work.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #47
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
That's entirely up to you as a Game Master, personally I'd tell you where to get off and go play with someone else. The main thing involved in gaming is that everyone have fun and if a rule or set of rules is getting in the way of that then you either change the rule(s) or find a way to compromise or don't play at all.

*shrug* That's just the way things work.
I agree. I'm specifically talking about changing the rules in a way that I think would be more fun, because I think that as it stands you get way too much money for starting wealth unless you tie up 80% of it in non-adventuring gear. And if that's the default for most games (and IME it is for the games I run and play in) might as well have the rules start you at that wealth level instead of saying "you get this much, but you're only really free to spend this much of it on what you want."

Semper Fi
Old 09-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #48
Kalzazz

I think that at lower tech levels it starts you off with much to little money for adventuring gear even if you allow 100% to be spent on it (Ill admit, I as a DM tend to always allow people to spend all money on adventuring gear and such . . . but I include vehicles and phones and things as adventuring gear), people are assumed to have a house or whatnot, but since the house rarely adventures I dont count it

Even at TL 8 you dont really have enough for a car and a few weapons and armor and such

Or TL 9 for that matter so doesnt seem to huge a deal

Just not as bad as at TL 3 or so where you barely have anything
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #49
Godogma

At TL3/4 where Dungeon Fantasy is played, you couldn't even buy a sword and some half decent armor for 20% of the starting wealth.

Where you're coming off that it seems like you start with too much I have no idea. Hell you start with nearly nothing.

"Here's 200$ go wild in those equipment tables boys." Yeah right.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #50
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I think that at lower tech levels it starts you off with much to little money for adventuring gear even if you allow 100% to be spent on it (Ill admit, I as a DM tend to always allow people to spend all money on adventuring gear and such . . . but I include vehicles and phones and things as adventuring gear), people are assumed to have a house or whatnot, but since the house rarely adventures I dont count it

Even at TL 8 you dont really have enough for a car and a few weapons and armor and such

Or TL 9 for that matter so doesnt seem to huge a deal

Just not as bad as at TL 3 or so where you barely have anything
I don't have a problem with "I take Rootless Wanderer [-10] and spend those points on cash for gear." I'd probably switch the points for gear ratio to 1 point gets you 2-3 x starting wealth worth of stuff if we're lowing starting wealth.

Quote:
At TL3/4 where Dungeon Fantasy is played, you couldn't even buy a sword and some half decent armor for 20% of the starting wealth.

Where you're coming off that it seems like you start with too much I have no idea. Hell you start with nearly nothing.

"Here's 200$ go wild in those equipment tables boys." Yeah right.
You get $200 for a backpack, armor, weapons, etc. You want a sword, you trade in some points for it. I don't see anything wrong with that. Most people couldn't afford swords at TL3. $200 will get you some light leathers, a knife, etc. I don't see why the average person needs to start out able to afford light mail and a sword.

Semper Fi

Tags
cyberpunk, gurps, shadowrun, tl9?