Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #31
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: GURPS Shadowrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
Frankly I'd include clothes as well, but that's not official.
"You start with a full wardrobe appropriate to your Status – you need not purchase this separately." Basic page 266.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #32
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godogma View Post
Its also vaguer than hell, and as most vehicles as noted by GURPS cost far more than your starting wealth its very interesting that one is provided.
It's vaguer than hell on the assumption that you handwave "you're a fantasy peasant/modern day english professor/sci-fi cop and you paid 80% of your starting wealth for 'lifestyle stuff'? Yeah you have a hoe/cell phone/commlink, even though you forgot to buy one."

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #33
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
"You start with a full wardrobe appropriate to your Status – you need not purchase this separately." Basic page 266.
I would think people who don't own a closet would have less clothes, myself.

Semper Fi
Old 09-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #34
Godogma

Exactly, its an ASSUMPTION.

When they put in exactly what the stuff you paid for entails, other than clothing which is provided for you as stated on page 266 I might worry about whats in that reddish pink lined textbox.

Otherwise, I deduce cost of living covers where you're staying and food and such, and your starting money covers what you want to/need to buy from the equipment section.
Godogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:04 PM   #35
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I would think people who don't own a closet would have less clothes, myself.
It is appropriate to status. Status -1 homeless people can probably count those 3-4 stinking layers as a wardrobe.
Quote:

When they put in exactly what the stuff you paid for entails, other than clothing which is provided for you as stated on page 266 I might worry about whats in that reddish pink lined textbox.

Otherwise, I assume cost of living covers where you're staying and food and such.
It's far easier than bean counting every little non-adventuring item that a person owns.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #36
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:

It's the stated intention of the guys who write for GURPS to provide lists of examples, not inclusive lists of exactly what certain things entail. You get 20% to spend on "adventuring gear." The other 80% is on everything else, including clothes and houses.

Regardless, you don't want to use it in your games, that's fine. Do you let them buy any LC class stuff at cost?

Semper Fi
Old 09-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #37
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It is appropriate to status. Status -1 homeless people can probably count those 3-4 stinking layers as a wardrobe.
What about status 0 people? The trivial case is homeless people. I'm trying to imagine higher status people (like adventurer types) and whether I have more clothes than them. I'm guessing yes.

Semper Fi
Old 09-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #38
Godogma

Everything has a Legality Class associated with it, and it depends on what item they want and how their background is set up.

Sir_pudding, as for it being easier than bean counting - saying that the $600 cost of living covers rent and food and whatnot also covers that so its just as easy my way.
Godogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:10 PM   #39
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Its also vaguer than hell, and as most vehicles as noted by GURPS cost far more than your starting wealth its very interesting that one is provided.
Yes (in the US at least) but you won't own it outright. You'll be making payments to the bank (and that's included in your CoL too).

Look, this is not a new rule. It goes back very early in 3e (at least). It's never applied to many classes of adventurers but it's always been meant to apply to modern day people who have houses and TV sets and all sort of non-adventure worthy possessions.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #40
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
What about status 0 people? The trivial case is homeless people. I'm trying to imagine higher status people (like adventurer types) and whether I have more clothes than them. I'm guessing yes.
Ah yes I see. Yes I do the same thing. Characters who pay the 80% assets get a wardrobe, characters that don't get a single free outfit (or maybe a steamer trunk full if they pay for the trunk).
Quote:
Sir_pudding, as for it being easier than bean counting - saying that the $600 cost of living covers rent and food and whatnot also covers that so its just as easy my way.
This doesn't account for assets that the character has beyond monthly costs. I wouldn't do it that way, personally.

Tags
cyberpunk, gurps, shadowrun, tl9?