Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-09-2007, 10:19 AM   #21
Mark Caliber

Default Re: Some fantasy monsters.

Well, someone could always come up with a P0W3R3D by GURPS product.

And it's not like SJ Games hasn't published like products in the past. After all I own a copy of the GURPS Bestiary and a couple of their Alien's books with sentient and less than sentient critters.

All in all, I'm not dissing this thread. I'm enjoying the diversity and freshness from what I'm seeing. Keep it up, people!
Mark Caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:33 AM   #22
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
Body's long, wide, and has lots of bits hanging off of it, not the least being a huge muscular scorpion tail, and 10 limbs.

But 20 might be excessive - 15 might be more in line. A coconut crab hits around 10 lbs at 16" long, but it doesn't have the huge tail arrangement.
*eep* You wouldn't want to compare a scorpion to those monsters. A fairly large Emperor might be around 20cm long and mass 30g or so (pregnant females might weigh about half again as much). If you double the length (to get close to your assumed 16") and assume that mass scales as the cube of the increase in length, it should only mass about 240g, little more than half a pound.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:19 PM   #23
Vinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
*eep* You wouldn't want to compare a scorpion to those monsters. A fairly large Emperor might be around 20cm long and mass 30g or so (pregnant females might weigh about half again as much). If you double the length (to get close to your assumed 16") and assume that mass scales as the cube of the increase in length, it should only mass about 240g, little more than half a pound.
That's some pretty hardcore math, dude.
When I first read the whole 16"/20lbs. thing, it did seem a bit implausible. But then I thought of it in terms of a weight (like the kind you put on a barbell). A 20 lb. weight is somewhere around 12" long, maybe 1" thick, and incredibly dense. I have held a tarantula before, and for its size, it does have a decent weight (like, maybe half an apple or so). A scorpion has a much harder exoskeleton, and at 16" in length, one stacked both high and wide could reasonably weigh 15 pounds or so (like a small dog). Plus, this is fantasy, so we can allow room for slight unrealism. Yeah, so how exactly did a forum about GURPS creatures turn into an argument about the weight of a scorpion?
Old 02-09-2007, 02:46 PM   #24
Bruno

;) One last scorpion issue - mostly the weight was pulled from HPs, which are pulled from strength. If anything, I may have mis-calculated the appropriate length.

But yes, I know Coconut Crabs are the monsters of the arthropod world - a friend of mine made coconut crab spirits the antagonist of two Werewolf the Apocalypse sessions ;) I hear they can get almost a yard long, but I'm not sure how credible that is.

But, this IS a giant scorpion, meant to be a serious predation threat to housecats, chickens, and other small ground-bound creatures, and a modest hazard to adventurers (in the sense of HOLY COW THAT'S HUGE).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:03 PM   #25
Derago

The reason I brought up the weight issue is because one of my players has a strong character who would just love to grab this thing (with armored gloves, of course) and use it as a missile weapon.
Derago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:28 AM   #26
Greg 1

People, you need to start a Wiki! This stuff is too good to languish in a thread.

I know that RPG.net offers free wiki hosting.
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:26 PM   #27
splattergnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1
People, you need to start a Wiki! This stuff is too good to languish in a thread.

There already is a GURPSwiki in existence:

http://www.gurpswiki.net/

However, most people seem to forget that it exists, or think its too complicated to add to it.
splattergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #28
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by splattergnome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1

There already is a GURPSwiki in existence:

http://www.gurpswiki.net/

However, most people seem to forget that it exists, or think its too complicated to add to it.
It has been suggested in my templates thread that I do this (add the templates to the Wiki)... maybe I'll start that after all.

Happy St. Patrick's Day Everyone!

Last edited by nerdvana; 03-17-2007 at 02:33 PM.
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creatures, fantasy, monsters, templates