Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #31
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Default Re: Lorenzoni Lock TL4 Firearms

Fred the separate wells pick up ball first and then the powder. As you continue to rotate the arm the ball drops into the barrel and then the powder right after it. It should be one smooth operation.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #32
pyratejohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godogma View Post
You can debate that with the National Firearms museum where I got the information that it cocked itself.
That's not too far from where I live. I really need to visit it someday. I hear they have all sorts of cool flinters.

Quote:
The Cookson gun on display there cocks itself and loads both powder and shot down into the barrel from the stock itself not under the barrel.
There's a special place in Hell for self-cocking flintlocks. I wonder how easy it was, or even if it was possible, to bring it back to half-cock. Walking around with a flintlock at full-cock is asking for trouble. And any GM worth his salt will be keeping a weather eye open for crit failures.

Quote:
I'm trying to come up with a reasonable rate of fire, and have sent for more information on the mechanism from several other sources...

Frankly I was asking for help in setting the whole thing up, and I've about come to the conclusion that asking anyone on these forums for help coming up with stats on something that isn't in the books but DID in actuality exist is a waste of time; I posted all the information I could find without a bias as well as the tentative rate of fire that I was in no way certain on and you've tended to attack me about it - the information I could find suggested quite rapid fire especially for the era and anywhere from RoF 1/2 to 1/3 sounded reasonable, 1/4 sounds a bit off base to me simply because according to a museum director holding one in his hands it cocks itself as well as doing the rest of the operation of loading with one complete turn of a winding mechanism.
Off the top of my head, without reading any of the material written on it, I'd guess 1/3. At least initially. After a few shots I'd be tempted to up it to 1/4 to represent fouling.

Last edited by pyratejohn; 09-25-2010 at 06:38 PM. Reason: oops! added -out
pyratejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:33 PM   #33
Godogma

It autococks to halfcock not full from what I was able to gather in my research, I just woke up. Bouts with insomnia make my sleeping patterns nearly untenable sometimes. But that doesn't much matter since cocking a hammer back is a free action along with firing for Single action firearms so I don't see why it wouldn't be here.
Godogma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black powder weapons, dungeon fantasy, firearms, gurps, tl4