Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 05-19-2015, 07:54 AM   #1
abbath

Default Hireling question

What if I have a Hireling that can't carry an item(like Elf Hireling), but gives me the abbility to(lets say) carry 1 more item myself. What happens with that item, when I lose the hireling? Do I lose the abbility, therefore I can't use that extra item or does the abbility stays?

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 05-19-2015 at 09:02 AM.
abbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:12 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Hireling question

If you have a card that gives you an ability, and then you lose that card, you lose that ability. The only case where you get to keep the benefits of a card-granted ability are when you discard a card to power the ability. Thus, if you get a combat bonus from discarding a card because of your Class, then discard the Class, you get to keep the bonus. But no, once you lose a card that lets your character use something out of the ordinary, you'll lose the ability to use that Item.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #3
abbath

Ok I got it about the ability. I think it was clear to me,already.

But what about the extra item? That's my main question. Do I discard it,just keep it in play but not in use or something else?

And one more question if I may. When a hireling gives you the ability to carry an extra item or carries the item for you, do we speak about any item, regardless of race,class,gender,etc?

Thx for your reply.

Last edited by abbath; 05-19-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:16 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

The only Hireling i can find that's close to what you're referring is the Gnome Hireling, which allows you to have a second Big Item. That Big Item would have to be dealt with just like it explains in the base rules about how to handle getting rid of extra Big Items if you lose your Dwarf Race.

For what it's worth, you can carry (i.e., have in play) any number of small Items.

Using the Elf Hireling as an example: It can use for you any one Item an Elf can use. That means Items that do not have a Class or Race requirement, Items that are usable by Elf only, but not Items that say they are not usable by Elf, and not Items that say they are usable only by some other Class or Race.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:42 AM   #5
abbath

Ok you made it clear to me. We just incorrectly thought that ANY Hireling(unless it says something else), gives you the ability for the extra item. Thank you very much!

Tags
abbility, extra, hireling, item