Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 02-08-2006, 02:51 AM   #11
Kitty_Of_Doom

Location: Klagenfurt,Austria; held captive by two well-trained tincan openers....
Default Re: Optional Specialties?

Any idea when we might see the next update?
As we have learned, it takes some time at SJG from getting the update till posting the update. So please tell us, when do you think will the next patch enter beta test.
Kitty_Of_Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:54 AM   #12
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_Of_Doom
Any idea when we might see the next update?
As we have learned, it takes some time at SJG from getting the update till posting the update. So please tell us, when do you think will the next patch enter beta test.
Each new build I make is available to my beta group nearly as soon as I compile it. So they always have new stuff while I'm working on other new stuff. However, there are several things I need to finish up, so that they're not in there only half-done, before I will be able to turn the next patch in to SJGames. I don't know the exact time frame on that. Work on GCA gets done in little spurts, and unfortunately that means sometimes I'm in the middle of something when I'd like to make something else available in a patch. Annoying, but a fact of life.

Armin
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:52 PM   #13
calgodot

Default Was this ever addressed?

I'm having an issue with an optional specialty on Cryptography. I'm GMing a crypto-heavy game where characters are breaking (and eventually will be making) many ciphers. One character has decided to make my life more interesting by taking the codebreaking specialty described on page 186 of the Basic set (4th edition). I'd like the skill and its effects to show up properly on his sheet, though thank the gods he's not a numbskull and can handle it if it doesn't. I'm thinking of simply creating a Cryptanalysis skill to take care of it, and would appreciate any pointers in that area.
calgodot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:07 PM   #14
Ragabash Moon

As mentioned before, the best way to do optional specialities for now is to just manually edit the skill. IF you plan to "list" defaults on your character sheet too (I don't normally, but I know it's possible to do so and have on occasion), then you will have to further edit the "new skill" to have the new defaults...

To use my example from a previous post (and my "any skill with GM permission house rule" heh)... Take Erotic Art (Tantric). Just put "Tantric" in the "extension" field, and drop the skill down one level in difficulty to easy. If you have skills that default, then you will need to go into the "Full Edit" find that skill (and might as well do others while you are at it) and drop the difficulty down two more, then I THINK you can then add "Erotic Art (Tantric)" as another skill? IF someone corrects me on this (don't have time to check it now, or I would) then I will remove this last note to avoid confusion...

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 04:43 PM   #15
calgodot

Thanks, Ragabash. I think your suggestion will work just fine.

I created a Cryptography (Cryptanalysis) similar to what you suggest with Tantric Sex (boy, do I wanna play one of YOUR games!). That allows the player a 14 in cryptanalysis/code-breaking while carrying a 12 in code-making.
calgodot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:45 PM   #16
Ragabash Moon

The newest version of GCA now does optional specialties :)

Also, in the options... Editing/Startup menu there is a check box to turn on optional specialties for ALL skills, not just IQ-based ones :)

Thank you, Armin! :)

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:53 AM   #17
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragabash Moon
The newest version of GCA now does optional specialties :)
Actually, if you look closely there's actually a couple of Optional Specialty skills in the Basic Set data file.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:25 PM   #18
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith
Actually, if you look closely there's actually a couple of Optional Specialty skills in the Basic Set data file.
So, is it only certain skills, or did you put a few in data files before, and now Armin has put it in the actual program code? Now I'm confused. LOL

Old 03-25-2006, 04:19 PM   #19
tmedwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragabash Moon
So, is it only certain skills, or did you put a few in data files before, and now Armin has put it in the actual program code? Now I'm confused. LOL
He meant that he added a few to the data file for us, so that you can just choose them. I think it's just the ones, or some of the ones anyway, that were suggested under the skill description in Basic Set Characters. For instance: Astronomy (Observational).

GCA4 resources: GCA Repository, Phoenix (r66), GMCS (2.17), Bookish (r12)
tmedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:03 AM   #20
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmedwards
He meant that he added a few to the data file for us, so that you can just choose them. I think it's just the ones, or some of the ones anyway, that were suggested under the skill description in Basic Set Characters. For instance: Astronomy (Observational).
You've got it. Astronomy (Observational) actually showed up in a template just as Armin fixed GCA to handle the Optional Specialties.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote