Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-29-2015, 10:08 AM   #21
brianfb

Default Re: daredevil advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
Question: does Daredevil's bonus apply to active defenses? As written it applies to all "skill rolls." Parry and Block probably count as skill rolls, even though they are not straight skill rolls but rather rolls derived from your skill. But Dodge is not a skill roll.

The advantage of Daredevil is that it is +1 to nearly everything the character does while taking the unnecessary risk. Backflip into the middle of a crowd of enemies while fastdrawing your sword and attacking? You get +1 to Acrobatics, Fastdraw, and your attack--three +1's in 1 round. If you also get +1 to all your defenses, it seems like a pretty good deal to me--a global bonus you can't really match anywhere else in the game for 15 points.

If limited to actual skill rolls it's less point-efficient, especially if Parry and Block don't count.
I did not interpret that as including active defenses. It would include the acrobatics roll though to make an acrobatic dodge.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:45 AM   #22
T.K.

I wouldn't count Parry, Block for Daredevil. They're NOT skill rolls and the section that describes Active Defenses is split from Skills or anything related to them.

Also, people need to keep in mind that adventuring is about taking risks, so unnecessary risks would need to be close to outrageous deals to qualify, imo.

Taking 3 orcs head-on (they're tough enough to 1v1 player characters) was a normal course of action for one of the characters in my table so, to qualify for Daredevil, I'd judge he would need to do so naked or without his shield and using a subpar weapon or something along the lines.

I find it so lackluster that I house-ruled it to a more usable version.
T.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #23
Lia Valenth

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.K. View Post
Taking 3 orcs head-on (they're tough enough to 1v1 player characters) was a normal course of action for one of the characters in my table so, to qualify for Daredevil, I'd judge he would need to do so naked or without his shield and using a subpar weapon or something along the lines.

I find it so lackluster that I house-ruled it to a more usable version.
With this definition of Daredevil you are correct, it would be unusable. However, this like many advantages are going to be dependent more on how the GM interprets it than the RAW.

As pointed out, you would consider him needing to go above and beyond his SOP, I would consider his SOP to qualify for Daredevil. Were I GM he would be getting +1 to all skills a lot, while with you he would get them almost never.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:51 AM   #24
brianfb

I would agree, if he routinely takes on three Orcs then he is role playing his,daredevil very well and should be rewarded for it.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:28 PM   #25
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfb View Post
I would agree, if he routinely takes on three Orcs then he is role playing his,daredevil very well and should be rewarded for it.
Co-signing. I think a lot of PCs regularly act like Daredevils...so the Advantage is a bonus.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #26
Not

If your players are routinely taking gross risk, they should have On the Edge on their character sheet. That'll offset the cost of daredevil.

The wording in Basic says +1 to skill rolls and reroll any critical failure. Those are separate sentences. The passage could be read to include critical failure on, for example, a knockdown roll.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:37 PM   #27
brianfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
If your players are routinely taking gross risk, they should have On the Edge on their character sheet. That'll offset the cost of daredevil.

The wording in Basic says +1 to skill rolls and reroll any critical failure. Those are separate sentences. The passage could be read to include critical failure on, for example, a knockdown roll.
On the Edge requires you to make all out attacks, no way would I ever take that as a player.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:39 AM   #28
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfb View Post
On the Edge requires you to make all out attacks, no way would I ever take that as a player.
"or engage in some other kind of near insane, suicidal behavior" just to complete the sentence where the All-Out Attack bit appears.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:38 AM   #29
Not

The two trickiest words in Basic: _or_ and _and_. Nearly every dispute I've ever had involves one or the other.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:51 AM   #30
brianfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
The two trickiest words in Basic: _or_ and _and_. Nearly every dispute I've ever had involves one or the other.
I am thinking the or is for situations where all out attack makes no sense. Getting into a car chase while on a motorcycle for example.

Tags
daredevil