Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-28-2015, 01:41 PM   #11
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: daredevil advantage.

I've played 'berserkers' and paired it with On The Edge... then you get the bonus every combat, every time. ;)
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:10 PM   #12
brianfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I've played 'berserkers' and paired it with On The Edge... then you get the bonus every combat, every time. ;)
The party healer must hate you :)
Old 07-28-2015, 02:16 PM   #13
Dingle

(luck [15] DX[20] IQ[20] HT[10] )-75% only when you need it, but could have avoided the need [15] seems reasonable
Dingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:09 PM   #14
trechriron

You can always just reprice it. If you do, it may become more desirable for players to take it. :-) It may fit your setting better however.

There's this desire in our corner of the hobby for "balance". Which, in the end is actually really hard to pull off. I've played/GMed so many systems over the last 30+ years, and I've yet to encounter one that demonstrates a way to "mechanically" balance the system. Even the CR system in 3.x was more an art than a science. I've killed a 3rd level party with goblins. I've had a party whoop the bejesus out of a trained corporate strike team that (on paper) seemed considerably more powerful.

It's even harder to account for player choices, magic/supernatural powers, combinations of rules or creative abuse of rules "everyone understands".

So, why is Daredevil [15]? It's not. The authors suggest that it's [15], but you are allowed to change it for your game. It's likely priced at [15] because the designers felt at [5] it would be too common. It's why Combat Reflexes [15] is priced "cheaply for what you get" because it was thought most Heroes would have it. What if Jumper was [5]? Or Mind Probe [5]? :-) Changes the landscape. Which may be desirable!

The real key here is to stop looking at points in character creation as a game balance mechanism. It's a character-creation system balance mechanism. Kind of like money is an economic balance system. :-) You are free to rig your market (it's YOUR market), you're free to change the pricing (it's YOUR store), and you're free to ignore the pricing when GMing (because RUNNING the game is not CREATING characters...). Go wild dude.

Even better, use the set price list and then RIG character creation! Just create a template "my super awesome hero template". Make it required. Add all the advantages and disadvantages you want and then hand it out for free. Yep. FREE. Then you don't even have to sweat the pricing.

Unless you're a player complaining it's too pricey because #BudgetingSucks . Then, my advice would be talk to your GM. Don't be surprised if they say "suck it up buttercup". We don't need a herd of Daredevils running amok. :-)
My Blog
trechriron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:04 PM   #15
brianfb

I was actually building some npc soldiers under the command of one of the PCs. One of them was described as being crazy, but not in a good way. Was going to give him; daredevil, on the edge, overconfidence, bully, bad temper, and bloodlust. Quite a cocktail I know :)

When reading daredevil it just didn't make sense to me point wise.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:03 PM   #16
somecallmetim

We've had fun with it in a Supers game as a leveled trait. I have an acrobatic fighter who has 4 levels as part of a Luck power. Stupidly risky behavior gives a nice +4 bonus (which is great for reducing the penalty to target chinks in a killer cyborgs armor) and getting to reroll critical failures during suicidally risky behavior lets her conserve her actual Luck for defensive situations and Super Luck for special occasions.
somecallmetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:03 PM   #17
ArchonShiva

In a normal game, it's an expensive version of Overconfidence. In a super-normal game (think 350cp, no powers), it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Basically, it works best for characters who are pretty much getting 16+ on every roll already: 2% of rolls still fail, whether your skill is 16 or 26. Using Daredevil, you lower this figure by 25% (since you re roll 18s) -- that's a lot of improvement!
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:23 PM   #18
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfb View Post
I was actually building some npc soldiers ...

When reading daredevil it just didn't make sense to me point wise.
It's an NPC. Why does it have to make sense "point wise"? It needs to 'make sense' for your plot.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:59 AM   #19
trechriron

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
It's an NPC. Why does it have to make sense "point wise"? It needs to 'make sense' for your plot.
Exactly!! Look Brian, you veered off into the bushes here. Daredevil is not going to hurt you. Just put it on the NPC write-up and have fun with it.

Points are make-believe.
My Blog
trechriron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #20
Adversary

Question: does Daredevil's bonus apply to active defenses? As written it applies to all "skill rolls." Parry and Block probably count as skill rolls, even though they are not straight skill rolls but rather rolls derived from your skill. But Dodge is not a skill roll.

The advantage of Daredevil is that it is +1 to nearly everything the character does while taking the unnecessary risk. Backflip into the middle of a crowd of enemies while fastdrawing your sword and attacking? You get +1 to Acrobatics, Fastdraw, and your attack--three +1's in 1 round. If you also get +1 to all your defenses, it seems like a pretty good deal to me--a global bonus you can't really match anywhere else in the game for 15 points.

If limited to actual skill rolls it's less point-efficient, especially if Parry and Block don't count.
Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
daredevil