Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-31-2017, 06:17 AM   #61
Andreas

Default Re: [Space] Fighter-to-ship ratio: what is it and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Azagthoth View Post
Unmanned craft, missiles, etc. are nice as long as the opponent is technologically lagging behind your tech (not necessarily a complete TL).

I don't want to be in the commanders seat when launching a full nuclear strike at a silly enemy with his carrier and silly manned aerospace fighters to see the missles have been hacked and turned around or get captured
That is pretty much only a concern with cinematic hacking. Even at our current TL, it is pretty trivial to implement a perfectly secure one-time pad communication protocol which makes it impossible for anyone without the correct key to successfully send commands to your missiles like that, even if they are several TLs higher than you.

Also modern manned fighter aircraft to some extent share such vulnerabilities anyway due to computer controlled fly-by-wire systems.

Last edited by Andreas; 10-31-2017 at 06:23 AM.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:01 AM   #62
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Azagthoth View Post
Very careless of me.

I've put in under spoiler alert for future readers.
A spoiler block that you have to open to know what it's spoiling still spoils the thing you were trying to avoid spoiling.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:41 AM   #63
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
A spoiler block that you have to open to know what it's spoiling still spoils the thing you were trying to avoid spoiling.
It's damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:02 AM   #64
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
It's damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Just label it.

Spoiler for spoiled thing:
Spoiler:  
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:16 AM   #65
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Just label it.

Spoiler for spoiled thing:
Spoiler:  
To clarify: if you place the topic of what the spoiler is about on the outside, you already spoil the series; if you put it on the inside, the viewer has no way to find out whether the spoiler in the closed box is going to spoil any series the viewer is following.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:04 PM   #66
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
That is pretty much only a concern with cinematic hacking. Even at our current TL, it is pretty trivial to implement a perfectly secure one-time pad communication protocol which makes it impossible for anyone without the correct key to successfully send commands to your missiles like that, even if they are several TLs higher than you.
I was thinking of complications around losing messages (one time pad decryption breaks down if you've got unknown-length holes in the cyphertext), but they look mostly resolvable with the right sort of headers.

You would be limited to missiles only being able to take commands from their launch platform - no telemetry handoffs. Worth it if getting your missiles hacked is a serious concern, but probably not something you'd do if it's believed sufficiently unlikely.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:18 PM   #67
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
You would be limited to missiles only being able to take commands from their launch platform - no telemetry handoffs.
Nah, you can register multiple possible command authorities each with their own OTP (or more likely, you just use some sort of encryption that is theoretically breakable but not on the time scale needed to jam missiles).
Old 10-31-2017, 02:18 PM   #68
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
It's even simpler than that. Just use directional receivers. Only commands from astern are even received. Ones from the target get nowhere.

There's still other ways too. For examples do not send your missile "commands". Give it an objective when you launch and directional-beam it the sensors updates from the mother ship's nice big sensors. There is very easily enough space in a missile warhead for an autopilot that can steer the missile into its' target. There's no need to send it detailed "Zig now!" commands.

This also gets by the "one laser comm per missile" requirement seen in Traveller.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:25 PM   #69
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
To clarify: if you place the topic of what the spoiler is about on the outside, you already spoil the series; if you put it on the inside, the viewer has no way to find out whether the spoiler in the closed box is going to spoil any series the viewer is following.
It's possible to get carried away with spoilerphobia. For example in a murder mystery you already know that that there's a killer and a victim. Labeling a spoiler with "identity of the killer" doesn't reveal anything the reader shouldn't know in advance anyway.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:19 PM   #70
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Nah, you can register multiple possible command authorities each with their own OTP (or more likely, you just use some sort of encryption that is theoretically breakable but not on the time scale needed to jam missiles).
The parenthetical more likely is, of course, more likely, but I don't see how you're proposing the first case. To provision the missile with separate one time pads from each possible command authority requires you first transport those between the various platforms. I suppose you could have each ship with a 'bunker' full of indexed pre-exchanged OTP keys to use...