Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-15-2016, 05:57 PM   #11
Jimmy_Melnarik

Default Re: Munchkin Collectible Card game?!

I just mentioned this to my wife and she gave me a Spirit-Of-Lorena-Bobbitt stare. I may also be keeping my distance.
Jimmy_Melnarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:28 PM   #12
Damon Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
It was announced in the Twitter feed from the GAMA trade show...
These kids today with their new-fangled Twitter-Facebook-Snapchat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Melnarik View Post
I just mentioned this to my wife and she gave me a Spirit-Of-Lorena-Bobbitt stare. I may also be keeping my distance.
Ouch! Good plan.
Damon Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #13
scuba1125

The part that intrigues me the most is that Eric Lang is co-designing.
I haven't played all of his games, but I have loved ever one that I have played.
scuba1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:52 AM   #14
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba1125 View Post
The part that intrigues me the most is that Eric Lang is co-designing.
I haven't played all of his games, but I have loved ever one that I have played.
Eric was our first choice for the game. He's an incredible designer and so very fun to chat with. He and Kevin on the project have made it a better game than if we hadn't had the benefit of their experience in the format.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:44 AM   #15
scuba1125

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Eric was our first choice for the game. He's an incredible designer and so very fun to chat with. He and Kevin on the project have made it a better game than if we hadn't had the benefit of their experience in the format.
That is great to hear! I had a chance to talk briefly with Eric at GenCon last year and he seemed like he would be a wonderful person to work with, or even just sit and chat with.
scuba1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:01 PM   #16
CaptainChwelve

I have mixed feelings about this announcement.

On the one hand, this is very exciting! I love munchkin and am thrilled to see it expand and try new things. I'm confident that it's going to be a quality game.

On the other hand, I simply can't afford this. I've dabbled in collectible card games before, and if you want to play at any sort of competitive level, it will break the bank.

A solution I've found are the "championship decks" that are regularly released by Pokemon and MTG and probably others. Those decks give me the opportunity to play with top tier cards at a reasonable price. The drawback is that those cards are not "tournament legal," which I'm perfectly okay with.

Are championship decks something you guys have considered down the road?
CaptainChwelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:14 PM   #17
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChwelve View Post
Are championship decks something you guys have considered down the road?

Considered, yes. No decisions at this time.

Eric and I just got out of a meeting and discussed a few other expansion ideas with fixed cards. No final decisions on those ideas at the moment (we need to get back to the office and chat with the team and explore options).

The starters are all fixed (buy one of your choice and have a game for two) so there will be ways to play the game without the randomized element.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:59 PM   #18
offsides

While I for one am not interested in CCGs (I got out of MTG 15+ years ago!), I'm pleased that SJG feels like it a) has the resources and b) the concept/execution to expand the scope of their product lines. And while I have no illusions that players of one type will automatically equate to players of another, getting more people interested in Munchkin of ANY variety is a good thing in my book. :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:30 PM   #19
Mister Ed

My only fear would be that they would cannibalize their own customer base to a degree. I can only speak for myself, but if I WERE to get into a Munchkin CCG, I have no doubt that the expense (and time and thought devoted to making up decks) would probably stop me from purchasing (or playing very frequently) any more of the regular Munchkin games for a while.

I'm sure they've considered that possibility, though. It probably isn't really much of an issue.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:51 PM   #20
Damon Griffin

If the CCG ends up having promo cards of its own, they'll eventually creep into the W23 freebies, [presumably] further diluting the pool of things I find useful.

I'm already getting Bavarian Illuminati membership cards, Mars Attacks cards, Munchkin Treasure Hunt cards, Ninja Burger cards, and in one case an Oz die.* I really just want Munchkin cards and bookmarks, in any flavor of the game.** I've had mixed results asking for the freebies to be limited to certain things. I asked for "No more Mars Attacks or Munchkin Treasure Hunt" and that's when I started getting Ninja Burger cards, for example. I'll phrase that differently next time.

Yes, I know, it's free. In the words of Joe Walsh, "I can't complain, but sometimes I still do."

*I agreed to a straight swap with someone on the boards: my Oz die for his Hydra bookmark, which at the time I was lacking. (1) I failed to ask where he was beforehand, and paid to ship the die to Germany; my bad. (2) The next W23 order I placed came with a free Hydra bookmark. D'oh!

**Well, okay, not any flavor: I don't have/want Munchkin Adventure Time, Axe Cop or Nightmare Before Christmas.
Damon Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote