Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-05-2020, 11:59 AM   #1
Evil Homer

Default Need a little help making sure I got this right...

I am new to GURPS and am working through a couple of things. I started working on one of the races from Eberron, the Shifter, and stat'ed up some powers. I'm hoping someone can take a look at them and make sure I'm doing this right.

In particular I'm wondering about the Linked modifier. It applies to all the advantages in a given power correct?

Thanks in advance!

Anyhow here goes:

Beasthide
[3 points per level]

You may take a Ready maneuver and expend Fatigue Points to activate the Beasthide ability. Beasthide toughens your skin in order to protect you from damage. Expend one FP to active Beasthide for one minute. At the end of the minute you may extend the activation by spending an additional FP per two minutes of protection. Beasthide grants you DR 1, with the tough skin limitation (B47). You may purchase up to 6 levels of Beasthide.

Beasthide: DR 1 (Tough Skin -40%; Costs Fatigue -5%). 3 points/level

Longteeth
[24]

You may take a Ready maneuver and expend Fatigue Points to activate the Longteeth ability. This ability grows your teeth into fangs that can be used to bite your opponent. Take a Ready maneuver and expend one FP to activate Longteeth for one minute. At the end of the minute you may extend the activation by spending an additional FP per two minutes of Longteeth. Your bite attack is stronger than you are normally and able to penetrate armor. Most people will find the sight you aggressively biting an opponent unsettling; causing a -2 to Reaction Rolls.

Longteeth: {Teeth: Fangs [3](, Link: Striking Strength +10%; Armor Divisor (2) +50%)}; {Striking Strength +4: Teeth only [22] (Link: Teeth +10%, )}; (Costs Fatigue -5%; Nuisance Effect -10% people think you want to eat them; Switchable +10%)

Cliffwalk
[36]

You may take a Ready maneuver and expend fatigue points to the Cliffwalk ability. Cliffwalk grants you an Increased Movement (B52) rate when climbing, as well the Catfall (B41), and Perfect Balance (B74) advantages. Take a Ready maneuver and expend one FP to activate Cliffwalk for one minute. At the end of the minute you may extend the activation by spending an additional FP for two minutes of Cliffwalk.

Cliffwalk: {Enhanced Movement: Climbing Only [10] (Accessibility: climbing only -50%; )}; {Catfall [11](Link: Perfect Balance +10%)}; {Perfect Balance [17](link: Catfall +10%)} (Costs Fatigue -5%)

Razorclaw
[34]

You may take a Ready maneuver and expend Fatigue Points to activate the Razorclaw ability. This ability manifests long talons at the end of your fingers. Using it prevents you from using a weapon or shield in any hand where you choose to manifest the claws. You can choose one or both hands. Take a Ready maneuver and expend one FP to activate Razorclaw for one minute. At the end of the minute you may extend the activation by spending an additional FP per two minutes of Razorclaw. In addition blows struck with your claws are stronger than your normal strength.

Razorclaw: {Claws: Talons [10](link: Striking Strength +10%; no fine manipulators -40%;)}; {Striking Strength +4: Claws only [22]( link +10%,)}; (costs fatigue -5%; +switchable +10%)

Longstride
[37]

You may take a Ready maneuver and expend Fatigue Points to activate the Longstride ability. Longstride grants allows you to move faster and because of that speeds makes it harder for opponents to hit you. This ability grants you the Enhanced Move (B52) and Enhanced Dodge (B51) advantages. Take a Ready maneuver and expend one FP to activate Longstrider for one minute. At the end of the minute you may extend the activation by spending an additional FP per two minutes of Longstrider.

Longstrider: {Enhanced Move [22](Linked: Enhanced Dodge +10%)}; [Enhanced Dodge [17] (Linked: Enhanced Move +10%)]; (Costs Fatigue -5%)

Wildhunt
[43]

You may take a Ready maneuver and expend Fatigue Points to activate the Wildhunt ability. Wildhunt enhances your senses and makes you a better tracker. Wildhunt grants the Enhanced Tracking (B53), Discriminatory Hearing (B49), Discriminatory Smell (B49), and Acute Senses (B35) advantages. Take a Ready maneuver and expend one FP to activate Wildhunt for one minute. At the end of the minute you may extend the activation by spending an additional FP per two minutes of Wildhunt. During the Wildhunt your features become more animalistic and animals themselves are frighten of you.

Wildhunt: {Acute Senses 1: All Senses [10] (Linked +30%)}; {Discriminatory Smell [20] (Linked +30%)}; {Discriminatory Hearing [20] (Linked +30%)}; {Enhanced Tracking [7] (Linked +30%)} (Costs Fatigue -5%; Temporary Disadvantage: Frightens Animals -10%; Nuisance Effect: Animal Features -10%)

--EH
Evil Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:09 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Need a little help making sure I got this right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Homer View Post
In particular I'm wondering about the Linked modifier. It applies to all the advantages in a given power correct?
Link is appropriate if you have two (or more) abilities that would each normally require a separate activation (using a Ready, Attack, Concentrate, etc) but that you can activate all of with a single such activation. For your examples, Costs FP doesn't add a Ready to activate; that's arguably a separate Limitation, which I'd eyeball at around -5% (I could be convinced to go to -10% - Switchable is +10% and lets you turn an ability on and off with a Ready, while Hidden is +20% and lets you turn an ability on and off freely). In a case where a Ready isn't required, there's no additional cost to be able to activate multiple abilities at once. Indeed, if you have multiple such abilities that are only usable together, and not being able to activate/deactivate them separately is disadvantageous for you, that calls for a Limitation worth -10%.

While it isn't RAW (Rules As Written), personally for a single "power" that's made up of multiple Advantages that don't need a Ready to switch amongst them, I think it's best to merge them into a single Metatrait and apply Limitations like Costs FP to that, which it looks like you've done.

Finally, Costs FP basically makes abilities Hidden (Switchable with no Ready to swap) for "free" in the mix, so you don't need to tack on Switchable. All told, I'd change your abilities as follows.

Beasthide: Good as-is, but note no Ready is required (if you want one to be, I suggest a further -5%, and -10% is justifiable).

Longteeth: The Link and Switchable aren't necessary. Again, no Ready without a further Limitation. Also, I'd suggest giving Striking ST the Single Attack -60% Limitation (I think this showed up in Martial Arts or elsewhere), which makes it only apply to bites.

Cliffwalk: Drop the Link; no Ready without a further Limitation.

Razorclaw: The Link and Switchable aren't necessary; no Ready without a further Limitation. For Striking ST to just apply to the claws on the hands, again Single Attack -60% is probably appropriate.

Longstride: The Link and Switchable aren't necessary; no Ready without a further Limitation.

Wildhunt: Drop the Link; no Ready without a further Limitation.

(Note some of the Limitations I mentioned above are from books - and Pyramid articles - you may not have. The important take-away is that abilities that are limited to only work in a certain manner - like Striking ST that only boosts your bite - should get appropriate Limitations. If you're ever uncertain what value that should be, feel free to ask on the forums.)
Old 03-07-2020, 04:22 PM   #3
Evil Homer

Default Re: Need a little help making sure I got this right...

Thanks! I appreciate the help. I guess it's all about system experience for some of those nuances.
Evil Homer is offline   Reply With Quote