Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-22-2017, 08:42 AM   #31
thrash

Default Re: [Blog] n-Body Politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreios View Post
The acceleration, yes. If you only look at the departure burn, the Fusion Rocket needs more than eight hours thrust to produce the necessary dV (which means even more time spent on waiting for periapsis). The torch needs five minutes of thrust.
I ran into this issue with my own setting, which seems fairly similar to yours. My solution was to create a variant fusion torch with 0.2g per system and 1.5 mps delta-V per tank of water. This is the same basic performance as the fusion rocket (acceleration * ISP = a constant, in this case 0.3 at TL10, vs. 7.5 for the torch as written). It's still limited superscience, due to the temperatures involved, but makes for a more interesting set of tradeoffs.
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:06 PM   #32
kreios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping Cargo and Passengers
We now know the cost - but what kind of cargo are we transporting? And how does a passenger’s life look like?
Continue reading...

As the last post of the year, a look at the cargo being transported, and how much passengers will pay. Did you know that a freight load of gems can buy you over a hundred freighters?
kreios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:56 AM   #33
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

You should probably include one level below economy class, that uses bunkrooms instead of shared cabins. I'd keep the establishment and attendant rates the same as for economy class. You can about halve the price for such a class yet again.

I'm under no illusions as to how unpleasant this is. You have no privacy at all from your three bunkmates, and precious little from all the other bunk-rooms nearby, as you will have thin walls and shared joint bathrooms. the Opportunity to cook will be minimal. There will be very little space to walk around or exercise: you'll essentially be confined to your bunk.

And yet people have tolerated such conditions for time immemorial. Much of the US population had their ancestors cross in similar circumstances. This pattern has been used for barracks, and the conditions may be similar or even superior to a ship full of refuges fleeing their country.

I thought that such options should probably be mentioned.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:40 PM   #34
kreios

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
You should probably include one level below economy class, that uses bunkrooms instead of shared cabins. I'd keep the establishment and attendant rates the same as for economy class. You can about halve the price for such a class yet again.
Definitely. That's why I wrote up a bunkroom-based class... except I apparently never added it to the blog. In fact, my first reaction to your post was "But didn't I add this?". I have gone back and edited it in.

Quote:
I'm under no illusions as to how unpleasant this is. You have no privacy at all from your three bunkmates, and precious little from all the other bunk-rooms nearby, as you will have thin walls and shared joint bathrooms. the Opportunity to cook will be minimal. There will be very little space to walk around or exercise: you'll essentially be confined to your bunk.
Yep. Slum-Class passengers have it really hard. I've included a quote from Babylon's Ashes on accommodations like that. Not sure I believe the whole prison-like features (thugs, beatings, blackmail), but it fits well with their storyline.

Quote:
And yet people have tolerated such conditions for time immemorial. Much of the US population had their ancestors cross in similar circumstances. This pattern has been used for barracks, and the conditions may be similar or even superior to a ship full of refuges fleeing their country.
I'll come to colonization later on (probably quite a bit later, since I'm going to stay in space for a while longer - FTL travel revisited up next, followed by space combat).
Old 01-03-2018, 08:36 AM   #35
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreios View Post
Definitely. That's why I wrote up a bunkroom-based class... except I apparently never added it to the blog. In fact, my first reaction to your post was "But didn't I add this?". I have gone back and edited it in.
Such things happen.

Quote:
Yep. Slum-Class passengers have it really hard. I've included a quote from Babylon's Ashes on accommodations like that. Not sure I believe the whole prison-like features (thugs, beatings, blackmail), but it fits well with their storyline.
I suspect slum-class situations are especially dependent on the circumstance and origin of the travelers. And the circumstance and origin of travelers is especially varied for slum-class ships. There is a great opportunity for unregulated and unpoliced behavior between strangers shoved into close proximity. And there is a good possibility that crime was common among them without the extra opportunity. But the ship could just as easily be full of disciplined soldiers* or a religious/political splinter group. A group of colonists intending to be future neighbors will have long memories. Its also possible that these travelers are sponsored by someone else, and the sponsor may have an unusual hold or ability to organize them.

Or the culture of travel might be different from place to place.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 01-03-2018, 09:29 AM   #36
RyanW

Quote:
A group of colonists intending to be future neighbors will have long memories.
On the other hand, if they are leaving behind an existing power structure, there will likely be people intending to get a head start at creating a new one, with them at the top.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:35 AM   #37
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
On the other hand, if they are leaving behind an existing power structure, there will likely be people intending to get a head start at creating a new one, with them at the top.
Quite so. But that looks qualitatively different from accosting people you'll never see again. Not that its any less unpleasant, but that its yet another variation.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:25 AM   #38
kreios

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTL Travel Revisited
A more detailed look at the FTL mechanics, introducing changes, and computing orbits.
Continue reading...
Old 01-09-2018, 09:07 AM   #39
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Ahh, you got rid of the moons! Which is very understandable. Shape the setting the way you want it to go. And its a very elegant fix. It has the side effect of making Jupiter's moons possible but expensive to visit.

I didn't follow the fast transfer orbits section. is a acceleration or is it the average of perapsis and apoasis again? and is 'v' sub 'a' half of the additional delta-v you're spending?

Old 01-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #40
kreios

Quote:
Ahh, you got rid of the moons! Which is very understandable. Shape the setting the way you want it to go. And its a very elegant fix. It has the side effect of making Jupiter's moons possible but expensive to visit.
Yup. Most of the time, working out the mechanics makes it easier to "naturally" achieve the effect you want to achieve.
Of course, in this case, I could directly set the gravitational bound, so it was even easier.

Quote:
I didn't follow the fast transfer orbits section. is a acceleration or is it the average of perapsis and apoasis again? and is 'v' sub 'a' half of the additional delta-v you're spending?
That's unfortunate. I've added a sentence hopefully clarifying that I'm repeating the formula from above again (and yes, a is again the semi-major axis; I'm assuming almost-instant acceleration. v_a is the additional dV I want to spend)

Tags
blog, blogs