Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #21
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Vampiric Regen Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post

But what if you want to build a draining effect that radiates from your body without affecting you?
It won't affect you regardless – Emanation is foremost a limitation that removes range from an area effect, not an enhancement that gives you immunity to that effect. If the ability already lacks range, then making it cheaper doesn't grant you immunity, but then again, you don't need immunity. The only reason this just about never matters is that almost no abilities have zero range yet allow Area Effect. Usually, you have to add Emanation to curtail range. Leech is odd in having no range to begin with yet being warpable into a form that affects an area . . . and Leech cannot affect the user.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #22
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
It won't affect you regardless – Emanation is foremost a limitation that removes range from an area effect, not an enhancement that gives you immunity to that effect. If the ability already lacks range, then making it cheaper doesn't grant you immunity, but then again, you don't need immunity. The only reason this just about never matters is that almost no abilities have zero range yet allow Area Effect. Usually, you have to add Emanation to curtail range. Leech is odd in having no range to begin with yet being warpable into a form that affects an area . . . and Leech cannot affect the user.
I don't think that answers my question. If you take your build:

Leech (Area Effect 1, +50%; Cosmic, Multiple victims, +50%; Malediction 1, +100%) [75]

With this ability you can target a circle of 2 yards, at say 5 yards distance from you by taking a -5 penalty to your will roll. I want to build something where you can only effect a 2 yards radius from your body.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #23
Jerander

Quote:
I don't think that answers my question. If you take your build:

Leech (Area Effect 1, +50%; Cosmic, Multiple victims, +50%; Malediction 1, +100%) [75]

With this ability you can target a circle of 2 yards, at say 5 yards distance from you by taking a -5 penalty to your will roll. I want to build something where you can only effect a 2 yards radius from your body.
In order for Leech to function as you describe, it needs the Ranged enhancement. The build you have above does not have Ranged, so it is centered on the user. It cannot target anywhere else.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #24
Snaps

The title of the thread is Vampiric Regen Aura. Couldn't he do what he wanted with the Aura Enhancement?

If he did use Aura, would he still need the Malediction Enhancement?

Can he take an Aura with a Melee Range of 2?
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #25
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
In order for Leech to function as you describe, it needs the Ranged enhancement. The build you have above does not have Ranged, so it is centered on the user. It cannot target anywhere else.
Then why does it have Malediction?
Quote:
The value of Malediction depends on the range modifiers it uses. If it takes -1 per yard of range, like a Regular spell, it costs +100%.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #26
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Then why does it have Malediction?
Leech specifies that to work without touch, you need both Malediction and Ranged (Which can be traded for Area Effect).
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #27
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Innate Attack does not heal you in the process!
Compare:

(1) Innate Attack: Toxic 1 HP (Area Effect: 4 Yards +100%; Malediction +100%) [3] + Regeneration: Very Fast (Trigger: Successfully injuring an IQ 1+ being with toxic attack; -15%) [85]

(2) Leech (Accelerated Healing +25%; Area Effect: 4 Yards +100%; Malediction +100% Ranged +40%) 1 [92]

They should do the same injury to the same number of beings, but upon successfully using (1) you get to heal 1HP per second for 60 seconds, upon successfully using (2) You get to heal 1HP.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #28
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Leech specifies that to work without touch, you need both Malediction and Ranged (Which can be traded for Area Effect).
I know that, but what are you getting for the +100% you are paying?
Old 05-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #29
Jerander

Quote:
I know that, but what are you getting for the +100% you are paying?
The ability to not have to grapple them or otherwise make them helpless and unable to resist.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #30
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
The ability to not have to grapple them or otherwise make them helpless and unable to resist.
Isn't that what Area Effect does?

Tags
area of effect, auras of power, leech, malediction, multiple victims, ranged