Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Weapon wait of magical Innate Attack

I am trying to stat up a race of creatures that have a power set of innate attacks based on the manipulation of force. They are meant to stomp all over anyone using TL 2 or even 4 weapons.

They're abilities are dependent on their hands, and they are manipulating force.
Defensively, they can bring up a wide shield that appears in front of them.

Offensively, they can deliver a cutting or crushing attack with a swing at a range that is melee but quite a bit farther than a man with a sword, and probably than one with a polearm, or they can send a shaft of force as a ranged attack with two hands.

I can do what is listed above with DR(forcefeild, front only), and innate attacks, but I can't get the feel I want on the modifiers:

The cutting attack should go right through most weapons, cutting them in two or knocking them aside. In the rules under parrying heavy weapons, it states to use weapon weight or attacker's ST, but this is an innate attack! In addition, it should be exceptional at breaking weapons.

The other thing I am having trouble with is getting the feel for fights between the creatures. The Idea I have is that they bang on each other's shields with the hammer until one can no longer hold up the shield.

ablative doesn't work because the shield comes down all at once, and in fact, I want the shield to stay up until it is pierced, at which point it comes down dramatically, knocking down its creator and leaving him exhausted.

having the shield drain fatigue doesn't seem to work either because its not the time that exhausts them, its the blows they are resisting.

In addition, the hammer attack should work uncommonly well against the sheild, and the blade, which has armor divisor, is relatively ineffective.

I have toyed with the idea of making it so resisting the damage is free, but making the generator take fatigue damage every time the knock back exceeds a certain amount (I have envisioned the hammer's other use to be knocking people all over the place without killing them... double knock back and perhaps x4), but there is very little precedent for that in the rules as far as I know.

how would you achieve that effect, and how would you score the option I'm thinking of? Also, how would you determine the weight of the attack, and should it cost anything?
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Weapon wait of magical Innate Attack

Destructive Parry seems the way to go for your first issue.
The other seems more a limitation on the shield.
Say build it with Enhanced Block and costs FP per active defense to simulate being worn down and tired out.
Also another limit say a nuisacne one for takes FP per x damage blocked from a hammer.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

which book has destructive parry?
Old 04-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
which book has destructive parry?
Powers, p103 under Melee Attack.
Also Power Ups Enhancements p18
Old 04-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Powers, p103 under Melee Attack.
Also Power Ups Enhancements p18
thank you very much, that looks like it will work well (with perhaps double damage vs. objects, which I've been debating anyways).

increasing the block bonus doesn't feel right, the shield is really rather static and very big, and block can only be used once (this thing can screen waves of arrows)
Old 04-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
thank you very much, that looks like it will work well (with perhaps double damage vs. objects, which I've been debating anyways).

increasing the block bonus doesn't feel right, the shield is really rather static and very big, and block can only be used once (this thing can screen waves of arrows)
Your welcome, glad one thing out of the way.
Ok well for the Shield thing.
You could do an IA with Wall or DR with the FF enhancement and one direction like you planned. However they have an alternate ability version for fighting each other. To encourage using that allow AP on the attack which you were thinking of anyhow. Or just a limitation on the Wall that it does not work or takes FP each hit from the Hammer attack.
If going with the block method to fight a hammer you can allow extra blocks.
ATR with a limitation is a traditional way.
I think there are optional rules somewhere for allowing multiple blocks at a penalty. Also this is kind of a Super Block so might use those rules.
I also like the idea of Extra Block being bought (Based off Extra Attack) though not sure what a fair price would be.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

With the DR, how would you price the ability:

inflicts 1 FP for every 10 points of knockback

and

after the DR is over a certain amount converts HP loss to FP loss?

(yeah, I know 1 FP for 10 points of knockback is crazy ... but these guys are throwing around a ton of knockback)
Old 04-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
Gnomasz

Quote:
With the DR, how would you price the ability:

inflicts 1 FP for every 10 points of knockback
Nuissance effect, -5%

Quote:
after the DR is over a certain amount converts HP loss to FP loss?
Another DR, with costs X FP per second, where DR is level 2X. As a feature, cost is not per second, but per attack (con), but it costs less than X FP if attack's damage is less than X (pro). Add another limitation indicating that this DR works only after the main one is broken. I think it's worth as much as Emergencies Only.