Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 02-19-2015, 02:37 PM   #1
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Self-expression via v-tags

I got a taxi home from the supermarket today, since I had too much to carry and can't drive, but found I had a communication problem with the driver. He seemed to understand my words OK, but to be interpreting them with weird assumptions. I felt the need for a personal v-tag that said something like "Not playing status games. Just want to get this stuff home efficiently." But of course, if v-tags existed, it would be hard to take anything like that at face value.

I wonder how people in the THS setting would actually use v-tags? It isn't something either of the campaigns I've played went into much: the diplomats generally made very sure they could be clearly identified and that all the digital signatures were kosher. Have your campaigns made much of them?
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:47 AM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Self-expression via v-tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I wonder how people in the THS setting would actually use v-tags? It isn't something either of the campaigns I've played went into much: the diplomats generally made very sure they could be clearly identified and that all the digital signatures were kosher. Have your campaigns made much of them?
My character tends to broadcast automated subtitles in Japanese, Russian and Greek from time to time, since those are the languages of other party members. Or English ones when talking in Mandarin.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:22 AM   #3
Keiko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I got a taxi home from the supermarket today, since I had too much to carry and can't drive, but found I had a communication problem with the driver. He seemed to understand my words OK, but to be interpreting them with weird assumptions. I felt the need for a personal v-tag that said something like "Not playing status games. Just want to get this stuff home efficiently." But of course, if v-tags existed, it would be hard to take anything like that at face value.

My PCs have only recently been introduced to v-tags. They're experiencing a bit of information overload but most of them seem to find them pretty useful though it might take some time to get used to a world with pop up windows and dialog prompts.
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:50 PM   #4
DaibhidC

I would imagine that for most people who don't have important information they need to convey to those around them, their most prominent v-tag would be more like a sig file or T-shirt slogan.
DaibhidC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:16 AM   #5
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
Which is the kind of junk that drives me mad in real life. If I personally were in THS, I'd have display of such v-tags turned off.
It's not really a problem since you need a VII to receive them at all, and the companion software heavily filters them to begin with for the virtuality to be useful at all.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ths, v-tags