Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-25-2019, 01:35 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Supernatural Interference

In fiction, supernatural powers are often portrayed as being antagonistic with technology. In the majority of fictional settings with such a relationship, technological devices inhibit supernatural powers, but some fictional settings have supernatural powers inhibiting technological devices. I was wondering what would be the best way to represent such an inhibitory factor?

One possible way would be to have any character suffer a negative modifier equal to the TL of a device when they are using technological devices for, by, or against a character with supernatural powers. The penalty would be decreased by the SM of the device and increased by the SM of the character with supernatural powers (minimum penalty of '0'). Gadgets and Signature Gear would be immune to such penalties, as spending CP for them would insulate them from the negative effects of supernatural powers while they are used by their original owners, though any thief would suffer full penalties.

So, in a TL8 setting, characters using technological devices would suffer a -8 to the appropriate skills when used for, by, or against characters with supernatural powers (modified by SM as stated above). For example, a character using a SM-4 TL8 pistol would suffer a -12 to skill when trying to target a supernatural character while they would only suffer a -4 to skill when transporting a supernatural character in a SM+4 TL8 van. The penalty could be reduced for lower TL objects made with traditional methods and materials, but it would only be ignored when using technological devices purchased as Gadgets or Signature Gear.

What do you think? Do you use anything similar in your games? If not, would you want to adopt the rules that I have presented in a setting where supernatural powers interfere with technological devices?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:18 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Supernatural Interference

That works,you can also base it not on carried but nearby amount of tech and dont have to tie it to TL. Any tech over say 4 could cause a penalty based on mass or amount rather than based on TL.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:49 PM   #3
Apollonian

You could also tie it into mana level and/or Magery levels. For example, a Magery 3 character using a flintlock in a low-mana zone would have a -2 penalty (-3 for Magery, -4 for TL4 flintlock, +5 for low mana).

I think I'd also include high tech items that are crafted with magical materials and methods which don't suffer the penalty - obviously that'd vary by setting needs, but having orichalcum circuitry in your cell phone just sounds cool.
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:36 PM   #4
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
In fiction, supernatural powers are often portrayed as being antagonistic with technology. In the majority of fictional settings with such a relationship, technological devices inhibit supernatural powers, but some fictional settings have supernatural powers inhibiting technological devices. I was wondering what would be the best way to represent such an inhibitory factor?

One possible way would be to have any character suffer a negative modifier equal to the TL of a device when they are using technological devices for, by, or against a character with supernatural powers. The penalty would be decreased by the SM of the device and increased by the SM of the character with supernatural powers (minimum penalty of '0'). Gadgets and Signature Gear would be immune to such penalties, as spending CP for them would insulate them from the negative effects of supernatural powers while they are used by their original owners, though any thief would suffer full penalties.
So every wizard would have to get his robe or pants as signature gear or get nekkid for any spell casting they wanted to be at full power.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:17 PM   #5
AlexanderHowl

The penalty is for the use of the technological device, not the use of supernatural abilities. For example, the magical would suffer -14 to use a cell phone (-8 for TL8 and -6 for SM-6), meaning that even turning it on could cause it to fry. As for the clothing, the penalty would probably only apply to the Sewing roll to repair it, rather than anything else. Signature Gear would probably be reserved for armor, weapons, and vehicles.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:26 PM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:
The penalty is for the use of the technological device, not the use of supernatural abilities. For example, the magical would suffer -14 to use a cell phone (-8 for TL8 and -6 for SM-6), meaning that even turning it on could cause it to fry.
One no more needs a skill roll to use a cell phone than one needs a skill roll to put clothes on.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:20 PM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

Utterly trivial behavior tends to be at +10. So acts that would never require a roll for most characters could if penalized heavily such as the example stated.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:51 PM   #8
SionEwig

Quote:
In some fiction, not that much that comes immediately to mind though.

But, what you might want to do is take a very close look at the sidebar on pg. 60 of Thaumatology and work backwards from it. But I'd go with more the suggestions in the last two paragraphs rather than the first effect mentioned.

Quote:

So, in a TL8 setting, characters using technological devices would suffer a -8 to the appropriate skills when used for, by, or against characters with supernatural powers (modified by SM as stated above). For example, a character using a SM-4 TL8 pistol would suffer a -12 to skill when trying to target a supernatural character while they would only suffer a -4 to skill when transporting a supernatural character in a SM+4 TL8 van. The penalty could be reduced for lower TL objects made with traditional methods and materials, but it would only be ignored when using technological devices purchased as Gadgets or Signature Gear.
Basic interesting thoughts, but the penalties are way too harsh. If nothing else, the mage will have an extremely hard time using tech also, and think how much tech level 1 - 3 basic things there are.

Also, I'd throw out the size modifier adjustments and not include the Gadgets (especially this) or Sig Gear as being immune.

One other thing you might consider is what would the range of such inhibition be?

Quote:
What do you think? Do you use anything similar in your games? If not, would you want to adopt the rules that I have presented in a setting where supernatural powers interfere with technological devices?
The basic concept isn't bad, but it needs a good bit of work. Yes, I've used something loosely similar when running a game set in the Dresdenverse. But that was for a game in which the setting has that pretty much laid out from the beginning. Otherwise I probably wouldn't use the idea.
SionEwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:17 AM   #9
Quantumboost

For the "Magic screws up technology" side of things, Pyramid 3/78's article "Cursed Thou Art" has a blatantly-Dresden-Files-like Techbane Anti-Talent which could work, either as part of a supernatural template (either always-on or at reduced value and limited to when they're using their powers) or as a Temporary Disadvantage on the powers themselves.

Re: the "would I use it", not outside of a game set in Dresdenverse specifically (or another setting where that's a major conceit, but... I can't think of any right now). It cuts out Magitech and Technomagic as options and that just does not fly for me.
Quantumboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:09 AM   #10
sgtcallistan

I think your solution reasonable, though I always wonder why iron objects (made of more than one part) cause magic to fail outside of early DnD.

Is the ban on guns or hinges, or springs? :)

I realise you wish to model tales where this is a given, yet I would have the question asked in-game-world.
It might even lead to a discovery about how things work for the curious who live in that world.
In a game, when a character scoffed at the idea of a ship made of iron, I had his wife demonstrate an earthenware cooking pot floating in a bucket of water.

He tried a small iron cauldron and it floated.

Cue animated discussion about the scientific method as in the Dark Ages... :)

Hope this is useful.
sgtcallistan is offline   Reply With Quote