Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 11-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
Thraisenth

Default Dead and running away

During our first game we had a dispute over how the Dead card should be played.

Owing to the fact that he had a tuba of charm, bag of caltrops and a helm of peripheral vision, we obviously had started to gang up on him to stop him from being untouchable by more conventional means, we added in crabs and another monster to his combat. After this he played the potion of disbelief onto the second monster added into combat and "Dead" onto the crabs. when he ran away from the initial monster after it being made so he could not beat it anyway he went to take the treasure both from running and from the dead crabs. However I asked him to hold on a moment as reading the FAQ the day before I read something on the pollymorph potion that had given me pause for thought, in the second question of the "Combat" section I read "You will have to win that fight before you can claim any treasure at all . . . " to my eyes the effects of "Dead" and "pollymorph Potion" are the same, and it seemed that "winning" would mean defeating the monster, not running away from it, so he should not get the treasure from the dead crabs. I discussed this with m girlfriend afterwards as she had been thoroughly perplexed by the exchange until I showed her what I thought and asked her opinion, she agreed with me and pointed out that it didn't make sense that if you find a dead monster in a dungeon but have to run away from its friend then how would you pick the treasure up from the dead monster?

I hope somebody can shed some light as our friend does not take well to being the target of a co-ordinated attack so much and quit the game after I tried to make my case.
Thraisenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
RL

Default Re: Dead and running away

You are correct. You must kill and/or get rid of all monsters in the combat before you can claim any of the treasure. And if you run away, you don't get any of the treasure, even if you used cards to instantly kill, remove, or defeat some of the monsters.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
DoomedDuck

He would, however, get the treasure granted by the tuba of charm for running away.
DoomedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomedDuck View Post
He would, however, get the treasure granted by the tuba of charm for running away.
Because the Tuba card says you do. Doesn't change the general rule, which was what was being asked about.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
DoomedDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Because the Tuba card says you do. Doesn't change the general rule, which was what was being asked about.
Yes. I was just trying to make sure the OP knew he would still get THAT treasure.
DoomedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
Enzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraisenth View Post
I hope somebody can shed some light as our friend does not take well to being the target of a co-ordinated attack so much and quit the game after I tried to make my case.
Perhaps your friend needs to lighten up a bit :) It's Munchkin, it's all in good fun.
Enzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzzo View Post
Perhaps your friend needs to lighten up a bit :) It's Munchkin, it's all in good fun.
If you're the target of EVERYONE else in the game, and it's not a case where they're trying to prevent you from winning (in which case, it's expected), it can be the opposite of fun. "Lighten up" is not a helpful comment, in that case.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #8
Thraisenth

Thank you for your replies, hopefully this should help clear things up, and yes we did naturally give him the treasure from the tuba of charm. While I agree picking on someone at the start of the game like that is kind of unfair, we have seen in a whole host of our past games that guaranteed run away from most normal monsters can prove very difficult to beat, even more so when he is immune to thiefly powers, which I took exception to being an epic junior thief at the time :<
Thraisenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
morleydotes
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
If you're the target of EVERYONE else in the game, and it's not a case where they're trying to prevent you from winning (in which case, it's expected), it can be the opposite of fun. "Lighten up" is not a helpful comment, in that case.
OH, yeah, the way I get hammered when I buy a new base set. Folks love to pound the MIB and make sure he doesn't win. I've just had to get meaner and find new folks to play against.

Pat
morleydotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
Pleh

Unfair is a rather strong word for it. In my group we play rough and if you get a combo that makes you almost untouchable, you can bet players won't wait until the endgame to break your invincibility, because by the time the endgame comes around, it may be too late to do anything about it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with playing this way. Of course, if someone gets hurt feelings over something like this then the game isn't helping people have fun like it was supposed to do, but that's not the game's fault nor is it anyone's fault. It's just an indicator that the playing group doesn't quite fit everyone like it needs to. How *mean* you are allowed to be to each other in Munchkins is more of a house rule thing than an officially stated rule thing. Just like in American football or in Rugby, some people find pain fun and others don't. Just make sure you're always playing with people that you find fun to play with.

Tags
combat, dead, pollymorph potion, running away, winning