Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 10-21-2014, 09:43 PM   #11
UncleBob

Default Re: Level 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123girr View Post
Third, the divine intervention does not have to be played immediatly IF you draw it face down as a loot (at least I think, its been a house rule at my place)
Yeah, that's totally a house rule... Divine Intervention must be played as soon as it's drawn, with a very minor exception if it's dealt out at the beginning of the game (everyone can play Cleric cards, if they have them, then DI gets played).

If you're talking about house rules, then you can make whatever crazy rules you want, like that you can't win with Level 11. Just make sure the house rules are clear at the beginning of the game and that everyone agrees. :D
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:51 AM   #12
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Ok, lots of confusion so far, first off, I waited 2.5 secconds so that the resonable time counter wouldn't reset.
Even if waiting to play Divine Intervention were a legal play, once the combat had finished, he won the game. You don't have a window to say "OK, you won the fight, BUT FIRST let me play this card." Munchkin doesn't work that way.

Quote:
Yes, he was a cleric, no he had finished fighting the monster when I layed it down. And honestly, I was expecting a little more creativity from the game thats rule book seems more like a joke.... I am dissapoint.... And on top of that it says you have to be level 10 to win, nothing about being level 11 or 12.
I'm sorry that you're disappointed. When we answer rule questions in this forum, we assume that people are asking for official rulings. Usually, that's the case. Even in a situation like this one, where you're looking for a loophole, we're still going to emphasize the rules as they're intended to be played because we have lots of newer players who could be confused by alternate interpretations. That's why we confine discussion of house rules to a single thread, for instance.

So the official ruling, when playing the standard rules, is that there is nothing past Level 10; if you get enough levels to get at least that far during a combat, you win the game.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:55 AM   #13
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Ok, lots of confusion so far, first off, I waited 2.5 secconds so that the resonable time counter wouldn't reset. That was the entire point.
Again, you seem to be misunderstanding something with how the "reasonable time" rule works. The player in combat is not forced to decide whether he's done trying to win. Just because you played a card does not mean that he can't play something else. Again, I'll say that he's not given a time limit to do that (aside from common courtesy to not hold the game up). He has to give you time to try to prevent him from winning if he's winning, but he has all the time he needs to figure out if he can do something else especially if he's losing.

Quote:
Seccondly, There is nothing that says you can't go above level 10..... so I think that that is legit.
I'm telling you, officially, that once you hit Level 10, the game is over. The rules say, "The first player to reach Level 10 wins[.]" So, even if you could go to 11, you reached 10 when you did it. That rule is not saying that you must specifically hit 10, and only 10, so again, anything beyond 10 would win if you could do it. Games which require you to specifically hit a goal point, without going over (e.g., Blackjack) are very, very specific about that.

Quote:
Third, the divine intervention does not have to be played immediatly IF you draw it face down as a loot (at least I think, its been a house rule at my place)
Has to be a house rule, since the card says on it that no matter how it is drawn, it must be played immediately.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:02 AM   #14
123girr

D: Alright guys, sorry for the confusion, but thanks for the help :)
I can't really argue my point past this part, I just really wanted to one up my cousin for once.... And I guess I can't even do that using house rules.
The problem with the owner rule is that it just says that you get the last word, not the deciding point :(
123girr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dupes, exploits, levels, winning, winning level