Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
UsArmyRetired

Default Killin' and Winnin'

New to Munchkin, but been gaming for about 39.47 years. Just finished a game with my wife and son and we have a rules question about killing a monster to reach 10th level.

My son was at level 8 and killed a monster, after which he immediately wanted to use the 'Gain One Level After Combat' card to get to level 10. I told him he had to actually kill a monster to reach level 10 and his previous kill only got him to level 9.

His argument was that 'Gain One Level After Combat' was based on killing a monster, so in fact he had killed a monster and could use the card. Pretty good logic for a 9 year old. Do I get to tell him he's right?
UsArmyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Killin' and Winnin'

It's good logic as long as you ignore the rules, unfortunately (one of the unbreakable ones, to boot). As good an effort as it may have been, given all considerations and such, it's still not a level gained as part of a kill, even if it's a level you can only get after someone has made a kill (I'm assuming Mutilate The Bodies, but it's the oldest such card, so it sticks in my mind the best).
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
UsArmyRetired

Default Re: Killin' and Winnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
l (I'm assuming Mutilate The Bodies, but it's the oldest such card, so it sticks in my mind the best).
Yup that's the one. Thanks for helping to clarify. I assumed we played it correctly, though I was quietly hoping I was wrong so my son would get a cool win.

He'll get another shot soon, we'll be playing a lot more rounds I'm sure!
UsArmyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
level 10, winning