Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #1
jacobmuller

Default [Basic Set] the cost of ST

If you've read Pyramid #83, Know Your Own Strength, you'll know that Striking ST (StST)was reasoned out to be worth 1 character point [1/lvl].
{Edit - I'm not using KYOS}
I've been overthinking ST lately* and I'm in two minds about the cost. Should it be changed to:
ST [5/lvl]: StST [1/lvl] + LfST [2/lvl] + HP[2/lvl].
Or
ST [10/lvl]: StST [2/lvl] + LfST [3/lvl] + HP [5;lvl]?
or
*leave well enough alone:/

{stoat} Logic:
If StST can reasonably be [1/lvl], could Lifting ST (LfST) be [2/lvl]? It counts for 1/4 die of damage, in some limited melee capacity, and how much you can carry - it does two things to StST's one. Leaving HPs as [2/lvl], that'd make ST just [5/lvl]... Further on in Pyramid #83, suggested (lovely) changes to the source for PER, the use of HT, DX and Speed, would give IQ[15/lvl], DX[15/lvl], HT[15/lvl]. Fun but should ST be so cheap? Does it really matter when it's limited by human limits?
Or
That StST reasoning could be taken to mean it could cost [2/lvl] - that 1/4 die can be Cutting or Impaling and costs round up. By the same reasoning, that'd make LfST stay at [3/lvl].
And maybe HP under-priced. FP are [3/lvl] and you only have 10, for all their usefulness. HP are your very life, they count toward damage for Slams, and you probably have more than 1 for every 1 you buy - you don't necessarily die until -5*HP/ If HT 10 gives 50% chance of living to lose another HP, then each HP can be 1+1/2+1/4+1/8+1/16+1/32. Seems reasonable to call that [5/lvl] and that's keep ST costing [10/lvl].

Last edited by jacobmuller; 07-08-2017 at 01:49 PM.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic set