Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-29-2014, 06:44 PM   #11
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Default Re: Help creating an ability; Whatever I draw comes into existence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
For living things, some flavor of Allies is probably the best way to go. Putting it in a Modular Ability is going to be a little tricky to evaluate. I was thinking maybe a Wildcard on the most expensive Ally build you'll use, but even that seems kinda like overkill.
Wildcard is in keeping with drawing-based powers. "I draw a pair of wings and put them on my back," or "I draw a giant swan with a saddle," for Flight, "I draw a gunbelt with a raygun in each holster, and put them on," for Innate Attack.

The problem is coming up with the base power that would be used at the same time as the above as well as on its own. Maybe some kind of reality alteration-driven defense or time-manipulation could be found, so that events that might interfere with drawing are slowed down or misdirected letting the artist have a reasonable chance of using the power once or twice during an action sequence.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #12
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
The problem is coming up with the base power that would be used at the same time as the above as well as on its own. Maybe some kind of reality alteration-driven defense or time-manipulation could be found, so that events that might interfere with drawing are slowed down or misdirected letting the artist have a reasonable chance of using the power once or twice during an action sequence.
I don't quite get what you mean in this paragraph. Is there something that necessitates its being used speedily?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:35 AM   #13
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
I don't quite get what you mean in this paragraph. Is there something that necessitates its being used speedily?
Well, GURPS combats typically last <10 seconds while drawing representations of distinct, useful objects and figures can easily take minutes. There needs to be some reason to close the gap. One way could be to draw items ahead of time except for a few strokes so they can be completed and animated in a second or two, but that leaves the question of a base ability unanswered if you want to use Wildcard.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:54 AM   #14
robkelk
Untitled

I think people are making some assumptions here that aren't in the original post.

Why does this ability need to be usable in combat? Enchantment takes even longer, and nobody complains about that.

Why do the drawings need to be high-quality? They were in Negima, but they weren't in Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings - there's plenty of room for variance in skill. Does the quality of the artwork make a difference?

And a question: I like Allies (Summonable) for most living things that can be drawn, but does that work if you draw the person who's standing beside you, or would you need Affliction (Duplication) for that?
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:40 AM   #15
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
For living things, some flavor of Allies is probably the best way to go. Putting it in a Modular Ability is going to be a little tricky to evaluate. I was thinking maybe a Wildcard on the most expensive Ally build you'll use, but even that seems kinda like overkill.
What is a Wildcard?
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:43 AM   #16
Figleaf23
Banned

To build this power, maybe just keep it simple:

Cosmic Modular Power (Create, Summon, and Snatch only (-40%?), Accessibility: must make a drawing (-10%)).
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:33 AM   #17
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
What is a Wildcard?
Sorry. That's the Wildcard Powers option from Supers, p41.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:40 AM   #18
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
I think people are making some assumptions here that aren't in the original post.

Why does this ability need to be usable in combat?
...because the OP did say, "This idea is fresh for me, so I haven't thought too much about it." I took this an an invitation *to* think more about it, and if it doesn't need to be useful in combat, they don't have to take me up on my suggestion. However, since they did mention using it for swords, combat is presumably on the table.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:52 PM   #19
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
...because the OP did say, "This idea is fresh for me, so I haven't thought too much about it." I took this an an invitation *to* think more about it, and if it doesn't need to be useful in combat, they don't have to take me up on my suggestion. However, since they did mention using it for swords, combat is presumably on the table.
Okay, sounds good to me.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:40 PM   #20
aesir23

I agree with putting Wild Card Power on this.

I still think it needs to be alternate abilities, as well. I'm just not sure if you have to take Wild Card! on All of the abilities, or just the most expensive one. I think maybe all. It's insanely flexible and powerful. Any reasonable way of doing it is going to be very expensive.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ally, drawing, modular abilities, power, snatcher