Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Help creating an ability; Whatever I draw comes into existence?

Hello!

I was wanting to design a power that would allow the character to draw whatever she wants and then that would come into existence. If she draws a sword, then she has a sword. If she draws a horse, then she has a horse. Of course, these things would function normally, but still be made out of magickal ink (so they can be weakened/destroyed with water). I felt like Snatcher would cover the object side, and maybe some kind of Modular Abilities (Ally Only, -X%?) for living things?

Any help and/or feedback is appreciated! Feel free to flesh it out for me if you think you have a cool idea. This idea is fresh for me, so I haven't thought too much about it.

Thanks!
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
GodBeastX

Default Re: Help creating an ability; Whatever I draw comes into existence?

Requires roll on drawing skills would probably be useful. Snatcher was my first thought too. Create works, and Illusion can be useful too if the person draws imagery that can fool people.

Allies is a good use of creating drawn minions.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
Nereidalbel

Snatcher with Creation and Trigger seems about right. That they're made of ink makes them significantly easier to kill/destroy than the real thing.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
shadowjack

Agreed: For a Galatea in 2-D style artistic creator, you'd have Snatcher and Summonable Allies, and possibly Illusion, all handled as part of the same power. And it would seem right to me to use the Power Skill optional rule, but using Artist as the skill. (Seems balanced, since they're both Hard skills.) Probably slap a lot of the time modifiers on (e.g. Requires Preparation and the like), since it should take a while to draw a good Minion.

Highly developed magic artists could possibly develop Telecommunications and Warp in the style of the Trumps from The Chronicles of Amber, and don't forget that favorite of the old WB cartoons, Permeation (Tunnel).
shadowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:50 PM   #5
aesir23

I say, buy Snatcher, Create (Drawable)*, and Modular Abilities (Summonable Allies Only) as Alternate Abilities of each other. All would have Immediate Preparation Required and Skill Roll Required (Artist (Drawing)).

Use snatcher for any equipment, Create for those times when you draw, say, a fog or a blizzard or a raging inferno, and Ally for any living things.

*You have to convince your GM to allow this as a Large Category. It's more limiting than you'd think. Want to draw Hydrochloric Acid? Well it looks just like water or rubbing alcohol, so good luck. You can create smoke or bubbles or fire, but not air or oxygen.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #6
Cyrilin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
I say, buy Snatcher, Create (Drawable)*, and Modular Abilities (Summonable Allies Only) as Alternate Abilities of each other. All would have Immediate Preparation Required and Skill Roll Required (Artist (Drawing)).

Use snatcher for any equipment, Create for those times when you draw, say, a fog or a blizzard or a raging inferno, and Ally for any living things.

*You have to convince your GM to allow this as a Large Category. It's more limiting than you'd think. Want to draw Hydrochloric Acid? Well it looks just like water or rubbing alcohol, so good luck. You can create smoke or bubbles or fire, but not air or oxygen.
The true question is... Can you draw happiness?

I think Aesir's got it nailed down though. Those three let you do most things.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #7
Libertine

Quote:

Would it then require a gadget limitation(special pencil), then either preperation required, or takes extra time?
Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Would it then require a gadget limitation(special pencil), then either preperation required, or takes extra time?
Only give it gadget limitations if it's a magic pencil. If you can use any pencil or pen or piece of charcoal, then it's an accessibility limitation at the most.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #9
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
I say, buy Snatcher, Create (Drawable)*

The power is obviously filling in non-drawn details if it works at all. If you draw a dog's exterior and the dog is able to be animated and run around and bark and bite, does it matter that you did not draw any internal organs for the dog? Does the dog have no mass or weight, since these can't be drawn? No, the ability is not strictly bound that way.

And if that is the case, then you ought to be able to draw air hoses or oxygen bottles or a beaker of acid.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:49 PM   #10
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
Hello!

I was wanting to design a power that would allow the character to draw whatever she wants and then that would come into existence. If she draws a sword, then she has a sword. If she draws a horse, then she has a horse. Of course, these things would function normally, but still be made out of magickal ink (so they can be weakened/destroyed with water). I felt like Snatcher would cover the object side, and maybe some kind of Modular Abilities (Ally Only, -X%?) for living things?
For living things, some flavor of Allies is probably the best way to go. Putting it in a Modular Ability is going to be a little tricky to evaluate. I was thinking maybe a Wildcard on the most expensive Ally build you'll use, but even that seems kinda like overkill.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ally, drawing, modular abilities, power, snatcher