Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-09-2020, 01:15 PM   #1
CaptainSnake

Default Ogre minis 2nd edition errata

Where is the official errata for this book?

Questions so far

1) Is the def of a Superheavy 4 or 5

2) does a GEV-PC cost 3 or 6. Cobb formula comes out to 3.5

3) page 22 says the def of a heavy tank is 4. This is obviously a misprint?

4) page 27 cratering a road. It first says the 3/4" crater is impassable like a nuke crater and any unit touching it is destroyed. But then the very next line says to treat it as rubble and that it is not impassable. Which is it?

Thanks for your time. Been playing since the first metagame came out. Just pulled the old minis out last week and started playing with an old military friend for the first time in 20 years.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
CaptainSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:59 PM   #2
CaptainSnake

Default Re: Ogre minis 2nd edition errata

Anyone have an answer for this. I was told to post my questions here so others can see the answers too..So far nothing..Guess the secret masters are busy.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:21 PM   #3
HeatDeath

Generally speaking, Ogre Minis is intended to have exactly the same combat engine as the Ogre boardgame. There should be no meaningful changes in the statistics of units between the miniatures game and the boardgame.

Defense of a SHVY is definitely still 5.

The Cobb formula doesn't [and can't] account for the utility of being able to carry infantry. It's mathematical underpinings are solely based on attack, defense, and movement capabilities. GEV-PCs are not indicated to cost anything other than 6 vp, per the Battle Box rulebook.

Yes. Heavy Tanks are still D3.

The intent on page 27 is that any unit touching the crater's footprint /at the time the crater is created/ is destroyed. Thereafter, the crater is treated as rubble.

I don't think there /is/ an official errata document for Ogre Mins 2e yet. It's a relatively recent book with a relatively small printing, owned primarily by people who know the material backwards and forwards. That and the line editor's day job as a medical professional has him, understandably and laudably, rather distracted these days, unfortunately.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #4
HeatDeath

I do note that the SHVY D4 error made it onto the reference sheet, but that SHVYs still show as D5 in the unit description and the Ogre Miniatures Lite sheet.

Similarly, GEV-PCs show as 3 points on the reference sheet, but 6 points in both the unit description and OMLite.

The reference in the text on page 22 to HVYs being D4 is, as you say, definitely an error, as it disagrees with the unit listing, the reference sheet, and OMLite [not to mention the Battle Box rulebook], all of which state, correctly, that the HVY is D3.

Last edited by HeatDeath; 06-12-2020 at 03:52 PM.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:54 PM   #5
CaptainSnake

Thanks for the info. I was asking for the clarification for some new players because of the diff between the book and ref sheet.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:19 AM   #6
CaptainSnake

Also was wondering when they nerfed the HW infantry by taking away their ability to fire their missles while mounted? In the 1st edition this was not the case. In my opinion this relegates them to all but a defensive roll especially given the time it takes infantry to dismount and get moving on their own, but HW must wait a turn before firing their missle thereby giving the enemy a chance to kill them before they ever fire it, and taking away their suprise first strike. Just see them as being unusable as a strike force unit of any type with these rules restrictions in the 2nd edition. Keep in mind I haven't played non-miniature Ogre since it came out circa 1992, after having played the chit version since it's release, so I have no knowledge of any standard versions besides the first Ogre/GEV/Shockwave stuff.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:54 AM   #7
Halliday

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
Generally speaking, Ogre Minis is intended to have exactly the same combat engine as the Ogre boardgame. There should be no meaningful changes in the statistics of units between the miniatures game and the boardgame.

I don't think there /is/ an official errata document for Ogre Mins 2e yet. It's a relatively recent book with a relatively small printing, owned primarily by people who know the material backwards and forwards. That and the line editor's day job as a medical professional has him, understandably and laudably, rather distracted these days, unfortunately.
That's the thing that cheeses me about these printings, the typos. I know the material, shouldn't the editors know it too? I loved how in the Designer's Edition, the end all be all of Ogre, there were typos on the first page. Come on!?! I love this game. I grew up with this game. I have spent so many hours with this game it's crazy. Pull the editing together. This is coming from a fan.
Halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #8
CaptainSnake

I just wanted to complain because HW squads used to be an awesome buy but now they are going to be relugated to defense in all my future troop plans and write ups. Guess my club could just ignore the rule but we like to stay current in case we take it to a convention.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:59 PM   #9
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSnake View Post
I just wanted to complain because HW squads used to be an awesome buy but now they are going to be relugated to defense in all my future troop plans and write ups. Guess my club could just ignore the rule but we like to stay current in case we take it to a convention.
My theory has always been; "it's your game, you paid for it; play it the way you like!"

I've incorporated a few house rules on points values (SHVY = 15 being the key one), and have all the pertinent info on printed player-aids that I have on the table for all convention games. Never had any player complaints.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:26 AM   #10
BillK

I posted some errata for this on BoardGameGeek.com:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2305634/errata
BillK is offline   Reply With Quote