Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2018, 03:02 PM   #141
Leonidas
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Milan, Italy
Default Re: Official Rules Update and FAQ (Draft versions 1.01 - June 21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Which is covered by "Units can combine fire, or fire in succession on one target, just as in a regular attack." Under normal conditions, INF can't combine fire on treads, either. You are thinking about how you can have a 3/1 INF attack treads, but that's only because they can be defined as a 3/1 INF. You can't, for example, combine two 3/1 INF.

All tread attacks are individual attacks, always. It just happens that in an overrun, all INF are single squads.
Thanks. This is how I understood it in the end. What a game! I am on vacation but I always have the 6th edition (minimum) with me for cuttling and solo play.
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:19 PM   #142
wolf90
Ogre Line Editor
 
wolf90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Default Re: Official Rules Update and FAQ (Draft versions 1.01 - June 21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Thanks. This is how I understood it in the end. What a game! I am on vacation but I always have the 6th edition (minimum) with me for cuttling and solo play.
You need to pick up a copy of the Pocket Edition. It's officially OOP, but there are frequently copies on the secondary market. Much more portable!

D.
__________________
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you!

Orders may be placed here: http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/sponsored-counters/ including adding the Strategic & Tactical Objectives sheet to your order!
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:12 PM   #143
Desert Scribe
 
Desert Scribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Austin TX
Default Re: Official Rules Update and FAQ (Draft versions 1.01 - June 21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
All tread attacks are individual attacks, always. It just happens that in an overrun, all INF are single squads.
Are you sure? I thought that while it is inadvisable to combine attacks on treads, it's not impermissible to do so.
__________________
My sci-fi/fantasy wargaming blog: Super Galactic Dreadnought
Desert Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:04 AM   #144
Leonidas
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Milan, Italy
Default Re: Official Rules Update and FAQ (Draft versions 1.01 - June 21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
You need to pick up a copy of the Pocket Edition. It's officially OOP, but there are frequently copies on the secondary market. Much more portable!

D.
Thanks for the tip but I could not live without a pocked edition. I bought it last year. It is perfect for the beach! I think I made a post in Ogre in Italy.

Ok. Iíll stop derailing. I have anothe question, please.

What happens to standard howitzers D1 if deployed in a town hex? Do they become D2?
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:07 AM   #145
wolf90
Ogre Line Editor
 
wolf90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Default Re: Official Rules Update and FAQ (Draft versions 1.01 - June 21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
What happens to standard howitzers D1 if deployed in a town hex? Do they become D2?
Yes. Any armor unit has it's defense doubled in a Town.

D.
__________________
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you!

Orders may be placed here: http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/sponsored-counters/ including adding the Strategic & Tactical Objectives sheet to your order!
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:03 PM   #146
GranitePenguin
 
GranitePenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Plainfield, IL
Default Re: Official Rules Update and FAQ (Draft versions 1.01 - June 21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Scribe View Post
Are you sure? I thought that while it is inadvisable to combine attacks on treads, it's not impermissible to do so.
Yes.

Single units canít combine attacks. INF are a bit of a special case as the squads (up to three) are considered a single unit. So you can have 1,2 or 3 squads in the same hex fire together. You canít have more than three combine, though.
__________________
GranitePenguin
MIB #2214
GranitePenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:51 AM   #147
Desert Scribe
 
Desert Scribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Austin TX
Default Re: Official Rules Update and FAQ (Draft versions 1.01 - June 21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Single units canít combine attacks. INF are a bit of a special case as the squads (up to three) are considered a single unit. So you can have 1,2 or 3 squads in the same hex fire together. You canít have more than three combine, though.
You are correct. I found the citation:
Quote:
7.13.2 Attacks on Ogre treads. If the Ogre's tread units are the target, each attack must be made by an individual unit, and always at 1-to-1 odds. ... Exception: Up to three infantry squads in the same hex may combine fire against treads.
We have always played it this way because it makes sense statistically speaking, but I never realized it was in the rules.
__________________
My sci-fi/fantasy wargaming blog: Super Galactic Dreadnought
Desert Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:40 PM   #148
offsides
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Cheltenham, PA
Default Re: Official Rules Update and FAQ (Draft versions 1.01 - June 21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Yes.

Single units canít combine attacks. INF are a bit of a special case as the squads (up to three) are considered a single unit. So you can have 1,2 or 3 squads in the same hex fire together. You canít have more than three combine, though.
While I know this is true for normal attacks, does it still apply in an overrun where individual squads are considered separate units? I always assumed that it didn't. Then again, I always do individual INF attacks against treads anyway, so it's never really come up for me...
__________________
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:10 PM   #149
GranitePenguin
 
GranitePenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Plainfield, IL
Default Re: Official Rules Update and FAQ (Draft versions 1.01 - June 21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
While I know this is true for normal attacks, does it still apply in an overrun where individual squads are considered separate units? I always assumed that it didn't. Then again, I always do individual INF attacks against treads anyway, so it's never really come up for me...
No, it's a normal attack thing only. It's a carryover from the fact you can have 3 squads grouped together. In an overrun, that's no longer the case, so each 1-squad is a discreet unit and each attacks individually.
__________________
GranitePenguin
MIB #2214
GranitePenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:01 AM   #150
BlackHat
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default Re: Official Rules Update and FAQ (Draft versions 1.01 - June 21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHat View Post
Its been a few years, and I cant recall seeing an update to the Ogre: Designer Edition Rule book. (An actual update of the PDF rule book would be great, or at least an Errata/FAQ sheet)

I was reminded of this when I got a notice from W23 of an updated "Scenario Book 2" a few days ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
There's a PDF with updated rules buried in a KS update from earlier this year in conjunction with some of the recent Minis projects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimos View Post
Do you mean the OM Set 2 update from here? That's for the Battle Box rules. It should cover all of the ODE stuff, but I haven't gone through it to verify that it does.

Ok I am talking about the links in the first post of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talorien View Post
Thanks for all those who commented on the previous drafts.

These should be almost-final.

Shout out if you find typos or anything game-breaking - thanks!

Ogre Designer's Edition - Rules Update v. 1.01 - 21 June 2014.pdf (639.6 KB, 362 views)
Ogre Designer's Edition - FAQ v. 1.01 - 21 June 2014.pdf (639.4 KB, 274 views)
The items you were referencing is in a Kickstarter for Ogre Minitures. And apparently only backers of THAT kickstarter can access it. (I only backed the Original big Ogre Designer's Edition.)

So my question still remains,
Was there ever an update to the:
Ogre Designer's Edition - Rules Update v. 1.01 - 21 June 2014.pdf
or even better and update to the ODE Rules manual to include the updated rules.

Sorry for the delay in responding to the replies.
__________________
I wear a Hat.
(Yes its Black)
BlackHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.