Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
Dalren

Default Illusions (Powers) vs. Digital Mind

Is Illusion by default negated by Digital Mind? Digital Mind says 'You are completely immune to any power defined as “Telepathic,” and to magic spells that specifically affect living minds'. The power in my case is Magical, not "Telepathic" (the Psi power). Certain advantages specifically list Cybernetic and/or Cybernetic Only enhancements/limitations. Illusions does not seem to specify this.

1) Does Digital Mind negate the basic Illusion advantage (assuming it does not have the telepathy modifier)?

2) Does Digital Mind negate Illusion (Mental)?

3) If Digital Mind does not negate Illusion (Mental), does Stigmata work?

4) If Digital Mind does not negate the basic Illusion advantage by default, could it take a No Cybernetic limitation and if so at what value?

5) If Digital Mind does negate Illusion by default, can the Cybernetic enhancement from Mind Reading be applied to Illusion to make it viable against Digital Minds?
Dalren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Illusions (Powers) vs. Digital Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalren View Post
1) Does Digital Mind negate the basic Illusion advantage (assuming it does not have the telepathy modifier)?

3) If Digital Mind does not negate Illusion (Mental), does Stigmata work?

4) If Digital Mind does not negate the basic Illusion advantage by default, could it take a No Cybernetic limitation and if so at what value?

5) If Digital Mind does negate Illusion by default, can the Cybernetic enhancement from Mind Reading be applied to Illusion to make it viable against Digital Minds?
Illusions by default creates a sensory picture so I would rule that a magical illusion can affect anyone who can see it.
Unless it was only working on those its cast on like with the Glamour limitation or Mental.

So...
1 is no
2 is yes but you could have machine version that would work.
3 is N/A
4 Hard to say the value and would depend on special effect. Why does a machine not see it but a person does if it is not mental or magically altering their mind? Which would also be a mental effect.
5 That enhancement would be like applying Mental for affecting people.
Just like regular and mental Illusions can affect people regular and Cybernetic/Machine can affect machines but how it works is changed.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
Leynok

1) I would say yes. On it's own, Illusion is (From my understanding) manipulating light and sound to create an image, so long as you detect those you would be effected.

2) I would say yes, especially if it was magic or psi based.

4) You probably could. Effects machines for invisibility is a +50%, so reversing that would be -50?
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalren View Post
Is Illusion by default negated by Digital Mind?.
It is not.

Quote:
It does not. The basic Illusion deceives the eye and ear, not the mind

Quote:
It does. You would need to add Cybernetic to deceive computers.

Quote:
The value would depend on how common cameras were ruled to be.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
digital mind, illusion