Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 11-14-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
Udeliens

Default Jollyboat and Dwarf

Hi everyone, this situation came out more than one time, so i decided arguing it.

In a game of standard Munchkin with both 'Munchkin Blender' and 'Munchkin Booty', what happens if you are a Dwarf (and can carry any number of big items.) and then you draw the Jollyboat (you can't carry any other big item but the jollyboat itself). So we were confused in what to do... so we made a house rule that one statement cancels the other one, so the player would still have the possibility to carry JUST another big item, and no more.

So what do you say?
Old 11-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Blu

Default Re: Jollyboat and Dwarf

Interesting.

If you consider the race/class cards as rules, then we (Jherek and I) believe (and would play) that the boat would trump the race as cards trump rules.

But, if you argue that both of them are cards and trump the rules, then it comes down to which one has precedence. So, it could come down to whichever card gets played last is the one that is what is in "effect".
Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
Udeliens

well, i kinda tried to imagine the dwarf on the jollyboat... if he's "on" it, it doesn't matter how strong he is, and how many big items he can carry, because the boat is still small and light, and if he carries another big item, even if he has the strength, the total weight will be too much for the boat, so the jollyboat would sink. :P

So, right now, i am guessing that the jollyboat rule overrides upon the dwarf rule, don't you agree?

I know munchkin is not logical most of the time, but sometimes we have to use the common sense right? ^^
Old 11-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
-ScreenName-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udeliens View Post
well, i kinda tried to imagine the dwarf on the jollyboat... if he's "on" it, it doesn't matter how strong he is, and how many big items he can carry, because the boat is still small and light, and if he carries another big item, even if he has the strength, the total weight will be too much for the boat, so the jollyboat would sink. :P
that's exactly what i was gonna say, i agree with you.
-ScreenName- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #5
StaticHamster

hmmmm;

Since this is the case for overriding bonus/penalties for running away it is a logical assumption and so I would agree that the boat would override the Dwarf ability as well until discarded.

However there are several instances that logic doesn't make sense in Munchkin, like if the boat doesn't have bonus/penalties for running away you use your racial even though you are still on a boat.

So unless the PTB overrule our assumption, this sounds like the correct answer.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:47 AM   #6
breakfast2588

I believe that somebody (who may or may not have been Erik or Andrew, but I think it was one of them), has made it clear in the past that the card most-recently played has precedence.

Tags
dwarf, jollyboat