Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #1
scottdprt

Default Car Wars and 3D print on demand

Could there be a small, but viable, market for 3D counters to replace the paper cut outs?

I returned from a game convention where a vendor sold 3D printed game accessories. While looking at some of the wargame pieces I asked about Car Wars and Formula De. They had nothing, but we chatted for a bit on the subject.

What we though would work would not be something detailed, but a sheet similar to the cut out with top down of the cars on a 1" by 0.5" base. A thin piece for the buyer to cut apart with an exacto knife. A sheet with 2 different versions of each class of cars would be the minimum. Additional 3D pieces for smoke, spikes and mines could be sold seperatly.

If I had the money for a 3D printer, I would try to be a vendor specializing in such things at game conventions. Place orders at the con and pick up when you leave (or mail them out if the response is good).

So, is this a good idea or just pie-in-the-sky nonsense?
Old 01-29-2016, 03:22 PM   #2
Causty

Location: The misty vales of Avalon, over yonder from the lofty towers of castle the locals call .. Manchester
Default Re: Car Wars and 3D print on demand

these guys (not sure if they are who you met up with) do what seem to be 3d printd cars - https://www.thegamecrafter.com/parts#keyword=car
Old 01-29-2016, 03:43 PM   #3
Parody

I know some folks like them, but personally I'd be annoyed by non-flat counters. It's hard to drive over them or maneuver while they're there.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:52 AM   #4
scottdprt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
I know some folks like them, but personally I'd be annoyed by non-flat counters. It's hard to drive over them or maneuver while they're there.
I agree for car wars terrain, but not for the vehicles. We mounted a car to wooden 1" x 1/2" and found it to be easier to move the cars than the plain carboard counters. So, how about a set of 3d Cars printed with base and a plastic turnkey?
Old 02-01-2016, 09:00 AM   #5
Parody

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdprt View Post
I agree for car wars terrain, but not for the vehicles. We mounted a car to wooden 1" x 1/2" and found it to be easier to move the cars than the plain carboard counters. So, how about a set of 3d Cars printed with base and a plastic turnkey?
Maybe, but cars are already easy to get. We play at 1.5x scale with vehicles on custom cardboard counters, for example.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:44 AM   #6
philreed
I do stuff and things.

We are not exploring print on demand minis at this time.
Closed Thread

Tags
3d cars, 3d printing, business, car wars, miniature