Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:56 PM   #1
EdwardF

Default Killer Robots

Apologies, if this is a repost:

"Already Too Late"
Old 11-11-2016, 05:36 AM   #2
brunns

Default Re: Killer Robots

Please give a warning before linking to the Daily Mail!
brunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:19 AM   #3
dwalend

What's the ethical distinction between a "killer robot" and a cruise missile? It's a little grim to ponder, but we crossed into this territory during WWII (if not earlier).

Ogre takes it a step further with the Factory States dystopia, where humans have surrendered control of civil society. That's terrifying. (Now my phone is telling me I should take a break from typing to stretch before getting back to work.)
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:42 AM   #4
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
Ogre takes it a step further with the Factory States dystopia, where humans have surrendered control of civil society. That's terrifying. (Now my phone is telling me I should take a break from typing to stretch before getting back to work.)
Ok . . . this is hysterical, and yet, not. We may be further down the rabbit hole than many of us realize.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:12 AM   #5
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
What's the ethical distinction between a "killer robot" and a cruise missile? It's a little grim to ponder, but we crossed into this territory during WWII (if not earlier).
We've had machines that kill since the sling and the spear. Now machines are making decisions on "how" to kill, terrain hugging cruise missiles, for instance. The next step, if we aren't there already, is machines that decide "if" they're going to kill (to accomplish their mission).

It's one thing to give a cruise missile some GPS coordinates and push the button. It's another to arm an autonomous machine and say "smite my foes" or even "keep us safe".

Will they be more bloodthirsty than us, or less?

Makes me want to dig out the old Bolo stories...

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:25 AM   #6
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
We've had machines that kill since the sling and the spear. Now machines are making decisions on "how" to kill, terrain hugging cruise missiles, for instance. The next step, if we aren't there already, is machines that decide "if" they're going to kill (to accomplish their mission).
Ten years past that step. Deciding to target or bypass antiaircraft systems was a small part of the photoreconnaissance auto-planner we built at BAE.

Sorry if that keeps you up late. It may make you feel better knowing our system was much better at avoiding friendly-fire than human fire control centers.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:34 PM   #7
Hurinironhammer

For the Robotics thread of the moment. Here is a link to a Fox news article, originally posted on September 22nd. The title is "Armed Mutts: Self-driving vehicles could boost the military's arsenal." Can't remember if I posted this to another military robotics thread or not. I apologize if I, or if anyone else, already has posted this. Anytime I see an article on military applications for robotics in the news I like to post it, for general knowledge, and to keep a running record of military robotics just in case we hit the "Cybertank" event. This event would be defined as the day they build and publicly acknowledge an operational, armed, and self-controlled tank. Self-controlled would imply a completely autonomous unit. Luckily, we are not there yet. At least, I do not think that we are there yet. http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/09/...s-arsenal.html

Last edited by Hurinironhammer; 11-16-2016 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Better ending.
Hurinironhammer is offline   Reply With Quote