Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-10-2014, 11:06 PM   #11
ak_aramis

Default Re: History of Community Evolution

Quote:
How has it all began? How did you start playing?
How did it change throught time you've been playing?
How everyone else in your near surrouding did change through time?
What does RPG community evolution means for you? Degrading?
Is your community (group) evolving or degrading through time? Do you know about others? What do you think about Internet RPG commnuity?
My first encounter with an RPG was getting a look at a classmate's blue basic D&D (this was about fall 1978) - but I was introduced to wargaming about the same time by my therapist.

I started playing summer of '81. Friends invited me to a game, held in the GM's parent's basement. The GM was a year younger than the rest of us, and Andrew, the GM, lived across the street from John (who invited me). Game was AD&D 1E.

Changes since I started playing? Lots.
In my own gaming - I've found a lot of systems - played many (hundreds) - and found a few worth learning well. I encountered a community looking at not just better simulation, but tailoring systems to play styles. It really helped me to understand what I liked, why I disliked what I disliked, and why certain people can't cope.

In general - the rise of Point Build, Skill Based, Advantages/Disadvantages, social conflict mechanics, narrative driving mechanics.

I play with some people I've played with off and on since college, and others I've met since then, including my wife - of 18 years - who I met 19 years ago, due to RPGing. I've found the styles of game I always wanted - but most of my old gaming buddies don't fit that same playstyle, so they don't like them. ANd I can't stand the games they're still playing happily anymore.

I don't see the overall community shrinking. In fact, I see as many gamers now as ever. Even in the high schools - I see more groups in the open at the high schools in town now than there were in my high school days. (Due to activities, I spent a few days each in a variety of high schools in the district which I now am a substitute teacher for.) Moreover, the community, while more fragmented, is divided up into smaller, but better suited communities. The rise of the so-called story games has made a very different kind of play identifiable, and those who like them best can play them.

In general, I see the primary issue for the survival of the hobby not so much finding players, but finding the right game system. There are so many games, and so many finding a player base, that most players have to play multiple games to find a second group unless they play one of the few juggernauts - Traveller, GURPS, D&D, Pathfinder, Fiasco... You're unlikely to find a group for more than one in any given small town besides Palmer or Wasilla.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:50 AM   #12
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affectuum View Post
I could say so, but the trick was to collect some sujestions about "RPG community getting better" and "RPG community getting worse".
As Anthony said, you should have said so. Assuming you can get the right impression over with misleading language is just begging for a misunderstanding, even when it's your native language. Assuming that people will read the whole thread before answering and thus be corrected is wrong; your response rate is already unusually low for these forums.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:26 AM   #13
Affectuum

Thanks to everyone for the answers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
your response rate is already unusually low for these forums.
I see. But I don't get how should I ask properly to get the kind information I search? What should question look like?
Anyways, no worries. I've got couple answers on other resourses. That would be enough for a little analysis.

Thank you!

Last edited by Affectuum; 07-11-2014 at 07:22 AM. Reason: ask not answer
Affectuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #14
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affectuum View Post
But I don't get how should I ask properly to get the kind information I search? What should question look like?
First, you have to know what the question really is. It's not clear what you're trying to find out. From what we've seen, you could be:
  • Studying the life cycle of social groups, using groups of gamers as an example.
  • Studying how long people stay in gaming groups.
  • Studying the effects of the changes in the games industry on gaming groups.
  • ... or lots of other things.
So, first you need to decide what you want to ask. This may well be several related things. Then you need to phrase your questions, and for that, you need the help of a native speaker of English.

English is a tricky language. It's easy to learn at a basic level, compared to many others, but it is much harder to use it clearly and precisely. Something that traps many people is that English has few true synonyms - words with exactly the same meaning. Words that seem like synonyms actually have slightly different meanings, as we saw above with "degradation" and "devolution". Their meanings have some things in common, but they are definitely different.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #15
tantric
Banned

Related to this, which the OP might find interesting, gamers are a defined social group in prison. Yep, Aryan Brotherhood, GG, MS-13 and RPGeeks. There are even gaming catalogs where you can buy books with stamps - you send them books of stamps, they mail you your DnD books. Instead of dice, people make spinners and carve miniatures out of soap. Also one of the few multi-racial cliques. Many of the prison RPGers where former military RPGers who failed to reintegrate (assault and battery, a few drug burn outs).
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
community, gurps, history